FC 1
CC 0
PH 8
Acid demand 4
TA 150
Calc Hardness 295
CYA 40
Total dissolved solids 600

Just built the house with a 10000 gal screened in pool. At first all I was doing was using the red/yellow PH/Chlorine test kit. Oh kept climbing so I kept putting MA in, and then some PH down when that ran out. I was doing pretty well keeping it in range. Chlorine was super low and found the pucks in the coordinator dissolved . Put two more in and after a week or so I started seeing yellow on the chlorine side of the test. The entire time the pool was crystal clear. I was curious about a full read out so I had my wife run to the punch a penny for a test. We'll $100 later she comes home with a trunk full of chemicals. New chlorine pucks, liquid chlorine, MA, something called super metal control. I was skeptical but I put the acid and chlorine in only to shock the pool. That was on Wednesday. Here I am Friday night with off the charts chlorine (hasn't been super sunny in Tampa) and a super low PH. Should I be concerned? Or it will even back out with sun reducing chlorine and the diamond brute increasing PH. I also noticed a white, oily film substance in the corners when I was brushing today. Not sure what it was. My hand is super dry after putting the test kit in the pool as well. I'm pretty sure if I left it alone I would have been fine. Note: pool was filled from well water. Thanks!

HI! I am SO glad you found us. We will be able to help you get your pool balanced and help it stay that way.

Here at TFP we believe in testing out own pools with a good test kit. The one I like the best is listed in my siggy below.

While you are waiting for it to come in I would like for you to start with some reading. The first one is the light version. The next one is the in depth one. It is a lot of info but worth it and will help your plaster last longer.

TFPC for Beginners

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I am also going to share this with you:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Let me know when you get your test kit in!

Kim:kim:

Ball,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool questions.

You have been Pool $tored.. it has happened to all of us.

The main principal behind TFP , is testing your own pool water and only adding what your pool needs, not what the pool store can sell ya..

Suggest you read the the pool school link at the top of this page and decide if our way interests you..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP, since maintaining my own pool, I have saved a TON versus "magic potions" from the Pool Store.

The pH will rise on its own quite quickly with a new finish. I think I may have went through 4+ gallons of MA the first month of my PT finish, I was testing everyday and keeping it within PTs recommendations. I would certainly order a TF-100 or a Taylor K2006 test kit, you'll need it. Determining FC level with an OTO test is about as good as a guess, OTO is only for determining presence of chlorine. The FAS-DPD test in either of the above kits is a titration (like high school chemistry class), done properly you can determine FC level within .2ppm, however I always run the .5ppm test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.