Hayward Ecostar 3400 Making loud Squeel

May 14, 2012
My Hayward Ecostar 3400 was replaced within the last summer.For the past 6months or so, it has been making a loud squealing sound as shown in video linked below. It sounds like bearing tome, but I am unsure. Anyone have any experience with Hayward pool pumps? I originally bought this pump in 2012, and it has been replaced twice under warranty, so I assume they will not replace it again,and it will be up to me to fix it. I am pretty handy with stuff like this, so I assume I can fix it, but would be nice to know where to start. Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance. It is greatly appreciated!

https://youtu.be/81pORQnrjQA

Post Edit: After writing this post, John from Hayward sent me a PM to contact him. So I called, and once he answered the phone, I remember his voice. It is interesting to me, because John helped me the previous times when I had issues with my pump. It is reassuring to know that the same person has been there to answer the phone every time, over the years I have owned a HAYWARD pool pump. I did not call HAYWARD asking for a new pump, as I thought the last time, I was lucky that they even replaced the motor again, considering I was way out of warranty at that time. John delivered then, as he had before, and he stepped up, and delivered again this time. I received a new pool pump today. It blows my mind, that a company could have that kind of customer service, that John has displayed.

The little devil on my shoulder, is making me type this part of the edit, partly because I am frustrated, that this is the 4th ECOSTAR 3400, I will be trying, and partly because I dont really believe a lot of reviews I see online from time to time, that appear to be written by the company themselves. Yes, I am a real person, who has no affiliation with Hayward, YES, this is the 4th try with the Hayward Ecostar 3400 VSP, HECK YES, I am aggravated that I have to deal with this again, I wonder, is all of Hayward pumps a piece of ish, Did I just get unlucky 3 times? (The 3400 VSP was sort of the latest greatest, newest, thing on the market when I bought it, maybe there were some kinks that needed to be worked out, and addressed. I hope the next pump I have to purchase, will have a better mean time between failure. I have often wondered, when I purchase a product, and have to return for warranty, if they have some brainless goof, who inspect all those returns, basically do a refurb, and sends them back out, to another customer, only to have them returned again, because said goof, didnt fix the . I have to admit, this is not the case with my Hayward experience. I received a 100% brand new pump. I am sure that Hayward has lost money on me, even though, like all businesses, they charge way more than cost originally, so they can afford to give a certain % of customers a second. This is my 4th pump, no way they have that much cost markup built into the price. They probably lost money on me with the 3rd pump, which they had no warranty obligation at the time. But the 4th time, WOW, that tells me that Hayward is committed to making their customers happy and make a bad situation right. Mad props to them, very impressive.

I should be buying a new pool pump right now, but John has saved me some serious $$$, and for that reason alone, I will purchase a Hayward products from him again, because I know in the back of my mind, that JOHN will still be there, and will do everything he can, to make things right, if the situation arises, and that Hayward will let John take care of their customers.

I cant express enough, how surprised and pleased I am with this kind of service from Hayward Pools and John. You have something unique, and somehow, just saved a customer who has swore and cussed, that he would never buy another #$@# Hayward pool pump again. When the time arises, which it will, I will not even consider another company.

Ohh, and the saltwater Generator, has been money! I love adding the whole add salt and forget mentality.

Hayward Ecostar 3400VSP , Hayward Saltwater Generator with T-9 Cell, 9,800 gallon pool with Gunnite walls.

WOW! Sounds like something rubbing on the impeller, could be a bearing. Check your basket, make sure it sits properly, and no debris gets through.
Here's info on bearings: There is not a Bearing Kit for this motor, however, it will take (1) 6203 and (1) 6204. From this link: Hayward Motor Assembly - SPX3400Z1ECM - INYOPools.com

Search youtube for pool pump bearing replacement.

Not sure what this sound is but I am going to try and find out.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, most in the field feel it is the fan in the back rubbing or out of alignment. Take the back shroud off and check. I also sent you a private message.

I received PM, called you, and am glad I did. See above post edit everyone.
2ff.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.