Iron Problems????

Jul 2, 2009
NE, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've had an 18x36 Pool for the last 14 years and I have acquired a new problem... About 3 weeks ago during spring startup I noticed a brown stain on the steps of the pool. We shocked the pool and the next day the stain was gone. The stain has now returned and is present throughout the pool. I did the vitamin C test and it appears we have iron in the water... Where could this come from after 14 years? Is this common ? Reoccurring ??? Thanks for any input...

Often iron levels build up slowly over years until it reaches a level high enough to stain the pool. Common sources can be a ladder/railing or well water with trace amounts of iron. A plastic or stainless steel ladder will help. Although 14 years is a pretty good run. A partial water change will reduce the iron level in the pool, if the source of iron isn't your fill water.

Have you seen this? Pool School - Stains in Your Pool

Often iron levels build up slowly over years until it reaches a level high enough to stain the pool. Common sources can be a ladder/railing or well water with trace amounts of iron. A plastic or stainless steel ladder will help. Although 14 years is a pretty good run. A partial water change will reduce the iron level in the pool, if the source of iron isn't your fill water.

Have you seen this? Pool School - Stains in Your Pool

Yes... Thanks for the help...

I would identify the stain positively first. That it was removed when you shocked your pool is not indicative of iron but rather organic staining.

Shock process will normally intensify iron staining and certainly not remove it.

I would suggest you post a pic of the stain and place a puck on it for a few minutes to see how it reacts

a4906568dd438cf9311aa00b8548211b.jpg
5d51f800d96c042516b302bda33406bc.jpg
451029f5065267bd1519704d840b5db7.jpg
df3eeaa0d0819e8c84a5d12e86b1f2ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first 2 pics are the rust on the ladder. The next 2 pics are the stained steps. The area at the upper left corner is where the vitamin c was used to clean. A puck was also placed on the step in a different area and there were no changes to the stains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume you've had the well for as long as you've had the pool---------like 14 years. And THIS is the first time you've had any staining? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Just like CH continues to build in a pool, so can iron until it reaches a level where it precipitates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.