Quad DE 60 or just jump to 80?

Dec 20, 2016
Spring,tx
Unfortunately I think I will have to replace my filter this year. It is a Pentair Nautilus FNS 60 and it has a 1" bump on the bottom half that leaks a tiny dot of water every minute or so. I'd prefer to just replace the bottom half, but it doesn't appear you can buy that part any longer? So first off, if anyone knows where I can get a bottom half that would solve my problems. Otherwise it looks like I'll be investing in a Quad DE and I'm wondering about sizing. Is 60 enough, it seems like a lot of people with my size pool go for the 100, that's fine if it's what I have to do but I'd rather save the ~$300 and go with the 60 if it will work for me. The water is clear right now, but I haven't been in the house but for a few months so I don't know if there are any issues with the equipment being able to keep up.

Current pump is a Pentair whisperflow 28 (PMP wf 28) with a century 2.2 HP motor (Part 0-177897-22)

So what do you guys say, 60 or just go 100? Also, will I have to buy a new MPV or can I just use the one I have now and put it on the new filter?

New,

I believe in buying the biggest filter you can, because that means having to clean it less.

But, if I were you, I'd try Craig's list for the bottom half first. I see tons of filters for sale on Craig's all the time. Most are used, so the prices are pretty low..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Yep. The only difference in the QUAD filters are the internal cartridges, other than that, they are the same size. I love my QUAD DE 100! I only tear it down and clean it twice per year although I will admit that I missed my Fall cleaning this year so I just let it go. I plan to clean it out next month and that will be 1 full year of running the filter (365 days) and not backwashing AT ALL. Only now, 11 months in, do I even notice some minor flow rate reductions. I have to admit, I'm really impressed with the QUAD DE and I'm glad we went with the largest size possible. Of course, when it comes time to replace the quad cartridges, I'm not going to like paying $480+ to replace them....

The diameter is the same.

However, the height is different. I think that the below is correct.

Area...height...required clearance.
60ft......43"........62"
80ft......49"........68"
100ft...56".........74"

Required clearance is so that you can remove the lid and cartridges.

Yeah, about half the cost of a new filter. They are sturdy though and will last many, many years if properly taken care of. But it is the most expensive part of the filter. It's one of the reasons I don't backwash anymore because backwashing puts a lot of stress on the cartridges and shortens their life. It's better to just tear down the filter. The Clean & Clear cartridge filter is good in that sense because you get decent performance out of it and the cartridges can be more cheaply replaced (about 1/2 to 1/3rd the price of a QuadDE cartridge).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my quad DE 80. from what i found on amazon the filters are no more expensive that the old cartridges $62 for Pentair 178655. I have 26.5k gallon pool and simple hose them down 2-3 times a year. I don't use the backwash even though i installed the valve. Pool is much clearer than when i had the old cartridge filter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So i heard good things regarding the quad de dilter from joyful, but..... today i called a pool company to get pricing on installing a new filter that i would buy online (i would only use them if my install failed).

He priced it but recommended me a fns plus after saying that the quad de filters dont perform well. I asked if he could give me an example....which just let him to say hes been doing this for x amount of years and have seen more bad than good with those filters over the fns plus.

So im interested in who else likes their quad de?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.