seeking advice

Feb 12, 2017
Durand/ MI
Not knowing any better at the time, I filled my used hot tub (see signature) for the first time with well water. Having had problems with it keeping chlorine-dichlor level above zero and ph at acceptable level, I have decided to use ahh-some, drain and clean, and refill using a Pre-fresh garden hose end water filler and a new hot tub filter.. After fill I plan to first add HTH metal control; my math shows I should use 1 1/3 ml for initial HTH treatment. From there I plan to follow Nitro's sticky of 11-14-08 in this forum for balancing and sanitation. I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I tested my well water from a tap for calcium hardness with a result of 230 ppm and think this is acceptable. My questions are:

Is my plan reasonable? Any advice for revising it? For weekly HTH treatment is use of 1 ml ok as it is difficult to get an eye dropper with less? When I need to use baking soda, borax, dichlor, sodium bisulfate, or other solids, which need to be pre-dissolved before adding? Is my calcium hardness level ok for my 140 gallon hot tub? Do I read test results correctly with fluorescent lighting?

Being a newbie I am certain I will have other questions later but these are enough to get me going. Thank you for any responses and help.

PS: If my first post lacks or contains more than what one normally has, please advise.

Welcome to TFP!

I've been using the dichlor then bleach method in my tub for many years and we are very happy with it. Your CH level is fine. It is best to read pH and CYA tests outside in the sun. I like to hold the pH test against a light colored background with lots of natural light.

Why the sequestrant? Do you know that there is iron in the water?

More here about adding pool chems to your water and what they do, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Sequestrant will use up some chlorine and cost extra money. Otherwise, there is no downside. Even if there is some iron in the water it isn't likely to cause problems that can't be solved later. I would be inclined to skip the sequestrant until a problem arises. Do you have any iron staining in showers or toilets?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.