Hello from Northern California!

HI! So glad you found us!

You say you have the hang on the chemistry part. How have you been testing the pool? Here is the corner stone of how we care for our pool:Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I would love to see a picture of your pool and area.

Why do you think it needs to be replastered?

Fill in your signature with your equipment and we will be able to help there also.

Kim:kim:

HI! So glad you found us!

You say you have the hang on the chemistry part. How have you been testing the pool? Here is the corner stone of how we care for our pool:Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I would love to see a picture of your pool and area.

Why do you think it needs to be replastered?

Fill in your signature with your equipment and we will be able to help there also.

I'm glad I found you guys too!

I have the Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit. I haven't tested this week yet. Thanks for the reference.

I'm going to attach some pictures, maybe you guys can help me identify the sand filter; it looks old and has no stickers. It has a leak around the clamp and at the drain cap.

There's a ton of plaster chipped off and some pitting at one of the returns. It looks like there is some black algae on the concrete.

I'm not sure where to begin.

I'll get on the signature as soon as possible!

20170214_173722.jpg
20170214_173710.jpg
20170214_173654.jpg

I'm on Tapatalk, let me see if I can upload more.

Hey you DO have the water down!!! NICE job!

What are the two white circle items floating at the far end of the pool?

Here is a link to our pool care schedule:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

I am sharing this for you comment "I have not tested this week yet". We don't want to have to do a SLAM if your FC levels get too low and let some algae start growing!

Filter-measure it and share the picture and measurements with Swimming Pool Supplies, Pool Safety Cover, Swimming Pool Covers, Swimming Pool Pumps, Pool Pump Parts - INYOPools.com
They have awesome cust. service and are very good with helping things like this.

Do you have a time line for the plaster? If it is holding water then you can hold off on the new plaster.

Black spots-put a chlorine puck on one for about 15 mins and see what happens. If nothing then try a vit. c tablet

Thanks!

The two white things are solar copper ionizers. I mainly wanted to test it out, but I'm not sure I get enough sun. It could also be that I have the filter trickling and booster pump dripping.

Thanks for the schedule. ��

I'm going to have to shock. ��

I put a Google Drive link with pictures.

Let me know if that isn't allowed and/or doesn't work, please!

I'll try inyopools.

The plaster does hold the water in, so maybe I can hold off until next year and replace some equipment this year.

Regular vitamin c tablets?

Last edited:
I saw the link and it is allowed but not many people will take a chance with clicking on a link. It is much better to put the pictures inside the tread. You can use the IMG code to do that. You can also become a supporting member to get a discount on test stuff and have more pic storage and make it even easier to put them in your post.

:shock: copper ionizers????????? NO!!!!! Say it is not so!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please go get them out of your pool THEN come back in and do so reading on the danger and damage caused by copper in pools! Copper can cause stains on the pool and people (blonde hair turns green). Chlorine only please!!!!!

Here is another link to what we use in our pools:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some feedback based on your results:
FC and CYA are way too low. If we assume your pool is a non-SWG pool, then your CYA should be 30 minimum (to protect the free chlorine). Your FC is also extremely low which would allow organics (algae) to grow. Your pH, TA and CH are not that bad. The primary concern right now is sanitation and algae. If I were you, I would get some granular stabilizer ASAP and use the sock soaking method to increase to a CYA target of 30 right away. At the same time, get some regular bleach and increase FC to about 3 for now. Once the stabilizer dissolves in the sock, assume your CYA is 30 and increase FC to about 10 and perform an overnight FC loss test as noted on the TFP Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) page. If you pass the OCLT - great. If not, perform a SLAM right away (link below in my sig). Let us know if you have any questions.

+1 what Texas Splash said.

Step 1 seems to be getting your pool back in shape. Lotta' work there but doable

Step 2 might be a decision on Plaster. Are you ready to spring for that?

What you do next will be determined by your answer above.

Meanwhile, Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You've got quite a bit of cleanup to do and that is probably the best place to start.

Thanks for the help.

FC - 4.8

I just added the CYA yesterday so should I wait until next week to up the FC to 10?

I'm ready for plaster but considering getting a VS pump and a new sand filter with zeosand (if it's any good, thoughts?). Maybe even a robotic cleaner to get rid of the energy hogging booster pump.

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Was your CYA the liquid or powder? If it was liquid you use your goal amount for the FC right now. If it is the powder is it all dissolved? If so then use your goal amount and add the FC needed for your goal.

You need to "feed" your pool each day. Please see and use the link I shared for the daily schedule.

Since you do not have any water features you really do not need a VS pump. You would do fine with a two speed one. I leave mine on low for daily running and put it on high when I run my cleaner.

What filter do you have now? Can you please fill in our signature so that important info can be seen at a glance.

zeosand-some like it but plain sand works great for me. I add some DE to it to get that extra polish.

Everyone that has a robotic cleaner loves it! One day I will be getting one.

Do you have a time line for the new plaster?

Yea I'm starting to get the rhythm thanks to everyone's help here!

I do like the idea of controlling the speed though lol

Fixed my signature :D

Oh I've read about the DE trick, how much would I add? My sand filter holds 250 lbs if that helps.

I think I'm going to do it next year. Any preparation tips or anything I should look for when re-plastering?

THANKS for doing your siggy! That is purrfect! :hug:

So you are a control freak like me :roll: LOL You get the one you want. I just wanted to let you know you could use the 2 speed and be fine.

DE in a sand filter: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

I would plan on being around the house when you first add it. I would start with 1/4 cup and go from there. We had one pool that only liked 2 tablespoons of DE before it freaked out. Mine likes 1/2 cup. If you add it and the pressure SHOOTS up fast (within say 15 mins) stop the pump and do a backwash. Each pool and filter is different so you will need to find what works for yours.

You're welcome! :D

Yea I'm a bit of a control freak, but it works for me (most of the time anyway lol). I'll do more research to see if the dual speed will fulfill my inner control freak.

Awesome I love all the resources you guys have here.

Wow two tablespoons!? I'll definitely make sure I'm here all day when I do that. I don't want my filter to explode haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support