Need help picking a pool pump

kdking

Feb 6, 2017
Carmichael
Hi all!

I just scored on a FREE used coleman/bestway 16X16X48 inch Power Steel above ground pool. The pool is in great condition and has all the support beams.

The original owners did not include a pump which was the only downside.

This is my first pool purchase and Im totally lacking in knowledge of what Im looking for in a pump. I have done some research but would love additional inights and knowledge on this new journey.

I am on a budget and am a total bargain shopper, who loves coupons and promo codes as well as a craigslist/ yard sale/ goodwill fanatic. I love finding out what exactly it is I want/need and then searching and scavenging for that item at a fantastic price. Lol ( im a single mom with no life its my only thrill ?)
Now Im not necessarily saying I wont buy new because id rather have it be new so I know its in working order and not a waste of money in the end.

So any suggestions on a couple easy to find or easy to come across or budget friendly sufficient pumps would be very much appreciated!

Also i have read a couple threads on here saying that thsre are compatibilityissues with hoses and the fitting or hole on the pool? So any knowledge on that would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you expect to live where the pool is for a number of years, you probably want low running costs as well. The most common thing you'll find used are Intex combo units (pump and filter) that people have removed to replace with a conventional residential pool pump and separate sand filter. I would avoid a used combo unit if it was me.

Is it 16' round? If so and around 6,000 gallons, I'd buy a new 1/2 HP pump, probably a Hayward entry- or mid-level model. I'd ask the experts here what's a good deal over there.

I'd scavenge for a used sand filter from someone who is upgrading or has already upgraded to a larger filter or a cartridge or DE filter. I'd be willing to remove the sand in order to move the filter. Then cut it out and take it all away. You might get a free filter that way. If you have a way to move the sand, you could even take that with you and re-use it.

Usually you can adapt between the hole in the pool and any piping approach, and there's experts here that know all the correct USA wording, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, but if it gets challenging, ask here and the experts will walk you through it.

You can probably find a time clock from someone that's upgrading to automation. There's experts here that can tell you the robust brand for that, I think Intermatic.

If you have any sparky mates, ask them about bonding a pool and if they don't blink, do them a favor or two. You might need them and electrical is a cost to consider. Also think about how you'll keep the pool safe from anyone falling in, and whether or not there's any safety regulations where you live. This can be a big $ surprise sometimes.

Adding your State to your details will help people know what your operating situation is going to be, so I'd do that as well when I had a chance.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

A pump/filter that's too big is better than one too small.
Keep scouring Craigslist and Facebook buy, sell, trade pages. Don't be afraid to look at entire pools for sale, you might be able to score a good deal that way and just keep the parts you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.