New Pool + Cabana + Putting Green - Lucas, TX

I think it's time we talk about these PB's.

PB#1, PB#2, and PB#3 are BIG companies here in DFW. They all have impressive showroom locations and build hundreds of pools a year. PB#4 is a smaller company with no retail location but excellent local referrals.

PB#1 did not come to us by referral. They have a retail location that we stumbled across while furniture shopping so we just walked in. The salesman/designer has been with the company for 15 years. The owners (father / son) work at that location, but I have not met them. I feel like PB#1's designs are exactly what we've asked for and nothing more. I don't feel like he's added any of his own touches to it. That said, I'm sure I'm sure he would make any change I tell him to. Once the other designs started flowing in I stopped tweaking PB#1's design. The salesman/designer is super polite and has worked hard to earn our business (e.g. when i pushed back on concrete pricing he made the pavers super affordable for me). A couple of things that concern about PB#1's design is that it doesn't take into account the slight slope away from the house (i.e. it shows the fire pit at the same level as the pool). I have not seen any of PB#1's pools except in pictures. PB#1 uses Hayward equipment. REVIEWS: Google = 4.4 rating / Facebook = 4.2 / Yelp = 2.2

PB#2 is supposedly the biggest pool builder in North Dallas (aprox. 400 pools a year). They came to us as a referral (ironically by somebody who went with PB#4). PB#2 uses many of their own trades. The salesman/designer rubbed me wrong when he first came to the house. Took me a bit to adjust to his dry sense of humor. Now I get him and quite like him. Of all the builders he has the most original ideas and I like his approach. He asks good, probing questions obviously geared to figure out what we value. But he's also good and educating us on how we'll likely use the pool and surrounding space. We've learned a lot, actually. One example... his first design had the pool a bit closer to house. We always envisioned a pool set back in the yard to show off how big the space is. His logic was that with that big covered living space on the back of our house, bringing the pool in closer would make that shady living space a part of the pool area. He said, "You already paid for that space. Let's use it as part of our design." He's been the most adamant that we build shade around the pool. We shoot ideas back and forth via text, even after hours. I like that cuz I'm usually thinking about the pool after hours. PB#2 used Jandy equipment. I recently read a very positive thread about PB#2 on this forum. REVIEWS: Google = 3.9 / Facebook = 4.6 / Yelp = 3.2. BBB = A+

PB#3 is a larger builder also, similar to PB#1 and about 1/2 the size of PB#2. Also a referral from the same friend who picked PB#4. I have not seen their pools in person; however they have two retail locations and have been building pools for 40 years in Dallas. Salesman/Designer is nice, but maybe a touch condescending. We were reviewing his design the other day and his answer to a few of my questions was... "I've been doing this a long time, so..." Definitely not quite the same vibe as we feel with PB#2 who seems open to all my dumb questions and encourages texting of my ideas. Also, PB#3 is the highest price for smallest pool, smallest cabana, and no putting green. For that reason alone I think they are out of the running. PB#3 uses Pentair equipment. REVIEWS: Google = 5.0 / Facebook = 4.9 / Yelp = 1.5

PB#4 is a smaller builder. He was recommended by our friend, our real estate agent, and somebody on this forum. The owner is the salesman, designer, and project manager. We've seen one of his pools in person and it was huge and impressive. The owner of that pool loved PB#4 but warned us they were slow. PB#4 was actually the second to visit our home back on 1/21. He showed up with nothing to write on, no tablet, no pictures, nothing! We shared ideas and criteria with him and he listened but obviously didn't take notes. I wondered how he'd remember it all! He just kept saying, "I know what you want." Anyway, he said he would have designs for us by the following week. We were anxious given the the recommendations we'd received. A week passed and nothing. I decided not to call and bug him. If he doesn't want the business I wasn't going to beg. After 10 days I was dying to know what he might have come up with. So I broke down and called him. He said he was almost done and would have them by last Thursday (a week later than promised). Thursday came and went... nothing from PB#4. So I think we're done. I have no idea what equipment PB#4 uses and he has NO reviews posted on Google, Facebook, or Yelp.

The guy talking shade is a genius! Our pool gets some shade somewhere all but about 2 hours of the day. Our shade comes from trees. It is very good to have shade available in and out of the pool in July and August.

-PB#3-"We were reviewing his design the other day and his answer to a few of my questions was... "I've been doing this a long time, so..."=NOPE. If he is like this now..................it will not get any better when they have your money.

-PB#4-already has not done as said=nope

It really looks like it is PB2. Now go see some of their pools in person. Think about talking to PB1 about the changes you would like and see what he says.

Kim:kim:

I agree. I like #2 the best design wise and also reading your interactions with him. Our PB is like your #2 guy. I call him, he lets me bounce my ideas off of him, has been so patient and great about my ideas and changing of things and just super accommodating but helpful when I needed suggestions. They worked with us to match a price of the exact same design and really worked to earn our business and was one of only 2 (we had 4 quotes total) to bring up the trees behind the house which were a huge concern which showed me he was paying attention to my specific situation. I think you guys have a winner on your hands. Can't wait to see how it progresses!!

Agree about importance of shade! What direction does the sun hit your yard in summer? Will your house (or cabana) provide some good blockage from afternoon sun and hopefully cast some shade over the water? There are pros and cons to having the pool closer to the house like PB#2 suggested. When it's cold you don't want to be too far from the hot tub! With your huge yard I can see why you would want the pool farther out. Pool closer to house would leave you with a huge area behind the pool for kids to play ball etc. Lots of fun decisions :) It will be awesome no matter which design you choose.

[FONT=&quot]Well, guess who decided to join the party... PB#4 finally submitted a design.

Last week i got a text text from my real estate agent encouraging me to give him another chance. So I sent him one more text asking if he'd forgotten about us. He said he wasn't quite finished but could meet us at the house on Saturday. So he comes over with his laptop and shows us his design. There are a few things we liked, but overall my wife and I were underwhelmed. I was thinking because he's a small operation that perhaps he'd be cheaper. I was wrong... he's the most expensive at $135K for the following:

45' x 22'
142' perimeter
940 sq ft
Depth 4' - 8'
1140 sq ft of colored/textured concrete deck
Flagstone coping
3 LED's in pool
1 LED in spa
2 Glo Glo lights in sun bench
Pentair equipment
22x15 covered cedar cabana with electric and stone wall

He brought two hard copy pics. He offered to send me more digital pics and I texted him my email address. But he never did so these pics are all I have.

It took PB#4 exactly 4 weeks to get this design to us. When i I asked him why it took him so long he simply replied, "I wasn't feelin' it." Ummm, ok! LOL

Anyway, here they are..

[/FONT]

Also, we've been working with PB#2 to tighten up his design. Here are some new/updated pics...

Changes are to the decking closest to the house. Notice it's now stepped down from the house with walls framing in the putting green and a chipping ares.

:shock: He was not feelin' it???? Well he will not feel any of your money in his pocket!! He has priced it so you do NOT pick him. For some reason he does not want to do it so don't waste any more time or effort on him

I am even more in love with PB #2. Those tweaks=WOWER! They really accent each area! I so hope you pick him!!!

I agree with Kim, if PB 4 can't get you pics I assure you the build will be a nightmare. We didn't go with the cheapest but with PB that we felt most comfortable with and we made a great decision, easy build. I personally like PB 2's design better then your other choices, good luck.

I'm overdue for an update...

lots of back and forth with PB#2 over the past two weeks to nail down some loose ends.

The last pics I posted had stamped concrete decking. We briefly contemplated upgrading to travertine pavers, but worried that it wouldn't look great against the Oklahoma flagstone coping (i.e. competing stones, too busy, etc.). The existing patio is salt finish concrete. So we decided to go with that, but do a saw cut pattern on it similar to these pics...

We also added a stone fire pit, like this... (turns out the one in the design renderings was not included in the price)

We also added a pathway around to the side yard, running all the way to the front.

Finally we added Jandy Nicheless LED lights:

Jandy Nicheless LED Lights - YouTube

Here are updates pics...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So as you might imagine, this last crop of changes blew the price up a bit, and my wife and I are having second thoughts.

First on the fire pit. The quote to build one in stone was $3K. I'm thinking we skip that and do a cool looking steel fire pit. This one is $1K and I might argue looks better!

Next on the walkway. These pool builders are crazy with their concrete prices. I don't need fancy concrete on the side yard. So I'm taking this out of the quote and will handle the side yard separately. Maybe I'll still have them run a path to the side yard. Or maybe just some stepping stones.

Finally, I wondered if any of you had experience with the Jandy nicheless lights. It's a $1750 upgrade over the bigger, traditional sized LED lights (2 in the pool + 1 in the spa). I was thinking the smaller, nicheless lights would be good because we could put one up on the shallow sun step. But the more I think about this the more I wonder. The Amazon reviews for the nicheless lights are awful.

I was wondering what was going on with your build!

-fire pit-I LOVE the one posted. So neat looking. Even one of the little ones from Lowes will do for now. Are you running gas/propane to it? I love the smell of wood burning so.....

-side walkway-I saw that and thought stepping stones would look better. That solid line of walkway just does not do it for me.

-nicheless light-I don't know :( Maybe make a new thread just for them "Who has nicheless lighting?" and see what kinds of hits you get.

-decking-saved the best for last! I LOVE that look! The cuts really put a good finishing touch to it! SWEET!

While I am not normally a fan on concrete decking, the finish on yours looks very nice and looks like a great choice.

For the fire pit, not sure how handy you are, but we are building our own using cinder blocks and then the same stone veneer from our spa. We will have a pipe ran for the gas line before pavers are laid. PB is buying the stone and travertine coping at cost for us as we are doing the labor. The cost really comes if you are doing gas burners. I have found a few sites that are very useful in designs, instructions, and very cost effective, high quality burners for LP and NG. Also, found a website that sells the base of the pit and you add your stone or whatever at home. That is if you ultimately would want a stone look but the price was the main issue. My hubby likes the free standing ones like you posted but I am dead set on matching stone to our spa. The one you linked to is a nice look for an alternative to the stone. Also, if considering wood burning, just think about what direction the wind usually blows and if it will be blowing smoke to the pool esp with the hot tub being right by the fire put. The great thing about gas is no smoke and no mess.

I also agree that stepping stones or even gravel would look better than the solid path of concrete on the side yard so good thoughts there.

I can't say anything towards the jandy lights but we are using Hayward LED lights and they are small as well, like the Pentair ones and could go up by the sun shelf as well. I think they are like $500? Not sure about the install. Def do a search on here for the lights you are asking about bc I have seen them mentioned here before.

The entire thing looks great though.

We had a cheap fire bowl at out last home and burned wood in it all the time! So yeah, we are thinking this would be a wood burning fire pit. I already have a gas burning fireplace on the covered patio as well as inside the home. There has to be somewhere we can hear the crackle of real wood burning as well as roast s'mores!

Im struggling with the deck.

I have an intentionally rusty wood burning fire pit and enjoy it. One technical aspect to consider is how the rust stains that will come from the metal will be handled. Ours has three points of contact with the paver patio, just like this... 41eB7k9kYmL.jpgwhich I put small cork plant trivets under the legs to "catch" the rust stains. I replace them every few years. That bigger design of the one you show is going to be more willing to share rust over a larger area. Will it also accumulate water? Certainly won't rust through at basically 1/2" thick. Ours is also on a separate patio from the pool so I'm generally not around it in bare feet to step on popped embers. Just a few practical thoughts. I love the look and would do it myself in your case despite the few downsides.

This build is going to be awesome! When you say you are struggling with the decking, are you not sure about doing the concrete? You mentioned you were worried that doing travertine with flagstone coping would be too busy with different patterns. I thought that too, (and chose lueders coping with our travertine) but then I saw this build (link below) and wished we'd done the flagstone with our travertine. Its beautiful. I'm not really thrilled with our lueders limestone coping.

I personally love the salt finish in the pic with that shows the built fire pit (without the lines). I wanted concrete but my husband wanted pavers in case we wanted to add on more decking, or if we ever had a problem it's easier to pull up pavers than rip out concrete. If you have the salt finish already in your existing patio, maybe do the same/similar? Even though it probably won't be an exact match?

New pool/spa build in North Texas Updated: PICS - Page 11

Where do you have benches in the pool plan? Do you have one in that area under the cabana? I love our bench that has a step on the end of it, makes it easier to get out. Also, if I could get a do-over I'd add a table with umbrella sleeve in our pool!

+1 on benches in the pool. Great for kids to hang out and rest or throw stuff and even better for adults with beverages to sit on. We've got 3 and another would be better.

Here is a 2D look at the plan. We haven't talked to the builder about benches. This is solely what he envisions at this point. I'm very excited about the steps leading up to the cabana. That's actually the deep end of the pool. I asked the builder how you can have steps into the deep end. The answer is they are for SWIMMING out of the pool, not walking out. So they are much taller steps (9", 23", 41"). You swim up (under the 6' wide rain waterfall) and as you body rotates up out of the your swimming g position you feet naturally align to the bottom step while your arms line up to the top steps, and you just crawl up! I'm seriously stoked about this feature.

As far as benches you'll see there is one on the house side and another under the waterfall. I did ask my wife if she wanted more and her concern is they get in the way of kids jumping in. That said, it's a pretty big pool and I think we need more. Open to your suggestions.

Love the swim out steps. Will be great for getting out easily and for sitting on. I think you have enough benches, just maybe make the small one on the house side a little longer towards planter and place an umbrella sleeve by it :) Your wife is right, you don't want them in the way of jumping kids.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.