Getting Started in DFW!

Jul 5, 2016
DFW
Ready to begin the process and have a quick question. I work out of the house and am going to GC myself. Prior to getting contractor bids, will we need the structural engineer plans completed for the subs? I am paying cash and would like to set up a budget. Appreciate any input!

So we are starting to get some bids and have a group that does plumbing, steel and electric. Giving a total bid of $9846 for all three ($2520 for elec., $2871 for steel and $4455 for plumbing including skimmers, main drain pots, spa jets, autofil unit, equipment pads and valves). Pool is 15' x 30' and 3.5' to 5' to 4' deep. Very wide open, flat space (on an acre and pool is far from house) with easy access. Seem about right price wise?

Hey there! I am GC'ing as well. I paid fairly close to your numbers, but I don't have a spa, which increases everything especially the plumbing. I probably used the same contractor (starts with A, lol). They were a bit expensive, but well worth having the same company do everything. Have you gone out for other bids? There's another post on here who gave a nice spreadsheet to his cost break downs that I used. Let me see if I can find it again.

Any recommendations for a controller? Don't really need the phone app capabilities, just something fairly simple. My equipment will be:

Inground 15' x 30' rectangular, depths of 3.5' x 5' x 4' with 7' x 7' spa in pool. Jandy 2 HP Variable Speed,
Zodiac 1.5 HP Spa Blower, Polaris 280, Pentair Quad 60 DE Cartridge Style FilterHayward 400DP Propane Heater

You don't want to be able to heat up the spa on your way home from work or on your way home from a movie?

I work out of the house, so no need there. I definitely understand the convenience of an occasional opportunity to turn it on remotely but I've had spas in the past and it really wasn't something I needed.

So dig was completed yesterday and steel went in today! Only concern is that our soil is extremely sandy and there were a few cave ins they had to take care of which left pretty good gaps (should this be a concern? Gunite coming next week). Here are a couple pics.

Steele1.jpgsteel2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not a concern for you, just for the PB. Happens all the time and is hand shoveled out and possibly placing up backer boards to shoot against.

Based on my experience and hearing from others, the controllers with the apps are the most user friendly. Or I should say it is the phone app that makes them more user friendly. I have a Pentair system and I have an app on my PC which let's me do everything. But I also like having the app on my phone to turn on/off the water features, pump, lights, etc. Plus at night I like to play with the light colors. ;)

Thanks bmoreswim. This is an owner build so I wasn't sure how big an issue (although reading some more, it does seem to happen a lot as you explained). I OB'd my last pool but had much different soil so it wasn't an issue.

Thanks, TexasDeano. I think for now I am going with the Jandy ProFlow JS with the built in controller that will allow me to add the remote uses. Sounds like I would be missing out without some of those capabilities.

Thanks bmoreswim. This is an owner build so I wasn't sure how big an issue (although reading some more, it does seem to happen a lot as you explained). I OB'd my last pool but had much different soil so it wasn't an issue.

Ah, yes I missed the OB part. Doesn't look like the fallout is too bad though. Just a little extra manual labor by someone.

I would recommend adding a signature with key information regarding your build (OB, pool size, type, features, equipment, etc.) Then all can see the details easily for reference when posting.

After a threat of rain (and concerns of dig collapsing) we were able to shoot gunite last Friday. Went to order tile and coping today and should have complete next week. The company going the tile, coping and plaster are asking for 50% up front. Is this fairly common? I've had the hole dug, steel, plumbing and gunite and none requested any payment up front.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.