Official 2017 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

f3aef50486af892a670a5ddb2878ed1d.jpg
441fbe988e1ef656f08e50d9611a47e6.jpg

Not a lot of fluff, but these Ribs were cooked for four hours at 220°, turned out perfect!

Momma’s Eggplant Parm

Found two very nice looking eggplants in the supermarket today so I decided to make a little tray of eggplant parm. Here it is after all the eggplant was battered & fried and then layered with sauce & cheese -

B1AE6474-BF81-49BB-B361-AC5A9356B0D7.jpg

I then baked it for an hour at 325F and finished it off with shredded mozzarella for the last ten minutes -

4C676A3F-F458-4069-B682-88834338EE90.jpg

Aaaaaaaand, the plate -

1FAF833A-2F6D-430F-8160-DDEEF96A53E3.jpg

Yummmaaaaaaaay!!! And, as a little homage to Danny, all the battered eggplant was fried in bacon fat that I had collected the day before when I cooked up 2 lbs of bacon for a family breakfast!! The bacon fat gave the eggplant a really nice flavor :chef:

Yesterday I started craving a Tri Tip. Needless to say I succumbed to my desire quickly. Here is the virgin specimen:
a28da7128f195cee5c955359719f592a.jpg

And then rubbed it down with Stubs pork rub (don't tell Stubs it was beef)
fe0bd6c0269484dd89e5f0ea829ac145.jpg

Preheated the oven in the convection roast mode to 450° and roasted it for 15 minutes then dropped the temperature to 320° until internal temperature reached 135°
942988cf7431bee718f5e4a644e9b9d3.jpg

Sliced thin
c18fadc571005643d9243fee1728c9c9.jpg

My plate is pretty simple just the essentials
0be4078b69140e21be5d413e893f2a67.jpg

I love a Tri Tip Roast

Big, Beautiful Bacon-wrapped (BBB) Filet

Got some nice big cuts of filet mignon at Costco along with some thick-cut, applewood smoked bacon and, viola -

8C300908-95E4-4635-913F-2A779C8A55D8.jpg

Added some grille marks and cooked then until they reached a nice, warm 135F inside -

D6D3C693-692A-4832-B71B-BC5866C489B9.jpg

Aaaaaand, the plate -

6164E327-75E3-48A8-BF56-AEF9831F6391.jpg

Oh happy day!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
View attachment 70789
Just finished cutting the grass hopefully for the last time this year. Matt this is heavy but good[emoji482][emoji2]

Yep. Stouts and bocks are darker, heavier beers. I prefer them on cool evenings after dinner. They’re kind of like a digestif to me...sort of like a port wine, helps the food digest.

Oh man, I had to try this one -

97640046-777F-47AF-BB94-A92CD4C4010E.jpg

At 102 IBUs and 8% ABV it’s a really tasty beer. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea since it’s a pretty bitter ale...but I like it :cheers:

I’ll be smoking ribs for Black Friday .... on T-day we don’t cook, we go out as a family to one of the local resorts for a big buffet lunch. We then come home and enjoy family time, Christmas decorating, football & deserts. We feel the Day is way too important to waste spending it in a kitchen stressing out over making a ginormous meal that few people appreciate and everyone just gobbles down in 15mins or less. Thanks, but no thanks.

And the bonus is no clean up or endless days of turkey leftovers piled up in the fridge.

I’ll be smoking ribs for Black Friday .... on T-day we don’t cook, we go out as a family to one of the local resorts for a big buffet lunch. We then come home and enjoy family time, Christmas decorating, football & deserts. We feel the Day is way too important to waste spending it in a kitchen stressing out over making a ginormous meal that few people appreciate and everyone just gobbles down in 15mins or less. Thanks, but no thanks.

And the bonus is no clean up or endless days of turkey leftovers piled up in the fridge.

We will be in a state park RV glamping over the long weekend with about 40 of my wife's relatives. It will be potlucks every evening with plenty of socialization (and beer) yet the luxury of retreating to our camper when they drive me nuts. Add in my portable satellite dish for football/Arizona basketball and I will be (literally) in hog heaven: I called the park ranger and got the green light to use my pellet smoker. Turkey on Thursday and a Boston Butt on Black Friday.:pig: For appetizers I'm doing a fatty, atomic buffalo turds, and smoked salmon on cream cheese bruschetta with red onion, caper, and fresh dill garnish.

Taps803 said:
Do you brine yours?

Probably will this year only because I started defrosting the turkey in time. Sometimes I brine; other times I do not out of sheer laziness. The turkey usually turns out pretty darn moist either way.

- Flappy

We will be in a state park RV glamping over the long weekend with about 40 of my wife's relatives. It will be potlucks every evening with plenty of socialization (and beer) yet the luxury of retreating to our camper when they drive me nuts. Add in my portable satellite dish for football/Arizona basketball and I will be (literally) in hog heaven: I called the park ranger and got the green light to use my pellet smoker. Turkey on Thursday and a Boston Butt on Black Friday.:pig: For appetizers I'm doing a fatty, atomic buffalo turds, and smoked salmon on cream cheese bruschetta with red onion, caper, and fresh dill garnish.

I'll have to swing by Safeway and see if they have any good looking jalapeno peppers and then give the ABTs a try.... :thumleft:

We will be doing a very large traditional bird using our next door neighbors oven and I will be doing an infrared bird also. We used to do deep fried birds however the oil is very expensive and I discovered the infrared cooker. A few years ago I did one deep fried and one infrared and no one noticed a very big difference so we have switched to infrared cooking. [emoji884][emoji884]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.