DE in my pool

Maybe a cracked manifold where it slips onto the standpipe. I would take everything apart and check carefully. Recheck the grids, get them 100% clean and check everywhere. Check the fabric on the ends of the grids. Check the air relief. Make sure that the grids go back into the manifold 100% with no gaps.

James,

Just pulled the filter cover off to inspect per your suggestions.....I now see DE clinging to the grids, which was not the case last week when I checked it....not completely, about halfway from the top down as you can see. Could it be that the DE in my pool would continue to stick to the grids if I started pumping again?

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 79
aaaarrrggghhhh!

This is really driving me crazy....took filter apart yesterday, cleaned all the grids, held each one up in sunlight, checked every inch of them, looked for a crack in the white plastic tubes inside them, checked the manifold, could see no cracks, air relief looks fine. I admit I'm not expert at this, but I've had the filter apart every year to clean after the pollen finishes falling and never had this issue.

Reassembled, made sure the manifold fit tight on top of the grid tubes, tightened the wing nuts down evenly and pressed the manifold on the stand pipe making sure it was down solid all the way around.

Reloaded the grids w/fresh DE.

Still see what looks like DE coming out of the returns! I'm afraid to let it pump for long that it will just blow all the DE into the pool.

How do I check the multi-port? The handle seems to "spring" back up fine and a week ago I took the top off and the spider gasket looks ok.

thx

perplexed in the Low Country!

Is it possible to have too much DE in the filter? Short of buying all new grids since I can't seem to locate a leak, I'm desperate to get this problem solved as we are into the heavy pollen season and warm weather is fast approaching......

Found a new set of grids for about $80....do you think that's the next step?

Just watched a YouTube video where the guy swears "grid socks" are the way to go.

Any thoughts on this?

thx

You say you inspected the grids for tears, but did you inspect the plastic fittings on the grids? I'm grabbing at straws but for the DE to be going back into your pool there has to be a gap somewhere between the intake and supply on the filter it seems.

Just trying to help.

rd

And I appreciate it! This is the craziest thing I've had to deal with in the 5+ years with this pool and all the help from TFP! Are you referring to the plastic tubes at the top of the grids that the manifold covers?

I'm going to pull the whole thing apart this coming Friday and make my wife double check everything with me....

This whole thing seemed to start when a pool company employee jammed the wrong o-ring on the stand pipe. But when I check the pipe and manifold, things look ok. I'll inspect it with a magnifying glass when it's off.

thanks again. I know I've taken quite of bit of "air" from this forum.....

And boy, do I love Austin....grew up in OKC, went there on biz many times...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check the manifold where it goes over the pipe. If the oring was too big, that could crack the manifold. It might only open under stress.

Also, check the ends of the grids where the fabric covers the end hole. That's the most common place for holes and the hardest to find.

Manifold looks ok...maybe out of an abundance of caution I should get a new one?

is the end hole the top with the plastic tube sticking out, or the bottom?

One other thing I noticed comparing my clamp assembly with the parts listing in the owner's manual. I only have the small I.D. washer. The one that goes on the machined bolt on the clamp. I do not have the large I.D. washer that goes on the machined brass nut. And I noticed that the spring coils do not tighten down completely against one another which is the instruction on the clamp label.

thanks again

Ok, a couple of things I noticed today:

I took the manifold off to check it and it looks like the 0-ring on the standpipe might have been askew....I purchased the 0-ring from my local Pentair dealer so I hope it's the right one. I lubed the o-ring w/Magic Lube II before installed the manifold. How can I tell if it stays in place when I install the manifold? Should I use a different lube type?

Second, while comparing my clamp assembly with the Pentair owner's manual list of parts, it appears that I am missing the large I.D. washer, the one that goes over the machined brass nut. The spring coils do not tighten against each other as the label on the clamp ring indicates. I've order the large washer. Could this allow air into the filter and forcing DE out through the standpipe o-ring?

I truly appreciate the time you folks have spent trying to get this issue resolved!

thanks again...

The oring is a very specific size. If it’s wrong, you won’t get a good seal or you could crack the manifold.

Magic Lube II is the best lube.

You should get the large ID washer, but it’s not going to cause the problem.

Maybe some pictures would help.

Maybe time to disassemble the multiport completely and clean and lubricate it.

Also, don’t use the black template spacer that comes with the grids. That can block the grids from going in 100 % and can cause DE to leak by.

Emarshbuck

JamesW's advice is a good point.

Regarding the Multiport Valve, you may want to consider purchasing a spare Top Valve Assembly for your valve. It's a convenient way to swap out the top assembly for preventative or troubleshooting purposes while doing maintenance on the original assembly during your spare time.

My Top Assembly for my Pentair Multiport Valve is part # 270067

Pentair.JPG

The next idea is an expensive one, but I purchased a complete DE Grid Assembly, including the manifold parts, for a fast swap-out spare when I need to pull the Grids & do a complete cleanup. It's also a good way to have the complete assembly available for troubleshooting purposes. You can eliminate the complete assembly in case you have a future problem such as the one you're currently experiencing.

My complete assembly is Pentair part # 59023500

Pentair 2.JPG

Regarding the Spider Gasket, I read where you checked it & it looks ok. This is just a long shot idea, but perhaps it's fattened out, allowing leakby issues.

I've started to notice (at least I think I have) when I open the filter again to check the grids, manifold, etc, that DE seems to clump at the bottom of the grids on the grid locator.

Does this give me a clue as to why the DE is going back into the pool?

thx

- - - Updated - - -

I see on this link that I could also order a new diverter compression spring for about $10....wise idea?

Regarding the DE settling at the bottom of the Grid Assembly, my guess is that it isn't related to your issue. If I recall, when I used to pull my Grid Assembly more frequently for cleaning, I'd see the same thing.

Regarding the Compression Spring, you can get one but you'd also need (it the other parts are wearing out), the O-rings, washer, etc, all parts that are included in the complete Valve Top Assembly.

Here's the Valve Top Assembly for your Multiport Valve:

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-272422-Assembly-Replacement-Hi-Flow/dp/B004VTGR6C/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1489333531&sr=1-1&keywords=Pentair+272422

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.