DE in my pool

There are varied schools of thought about lub'ing Spider Gaskets, depending on the Multiport Valve Mfr.

I've read both opinions both here & elsewhere. I followed my valve's Mfr recommendations & didn't apply lube to the gasket. I did glue in the replacement gasket but using the 'dot' method, that is, applying small dots of adhesive around the channel spoke & not a continuous beading inside the channel.

I talked to my pool repair guy who's been servicing pools for ~30 years with many Spider Gasket replacement's. He recommended using Permatex® 80022 Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker:

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80022-Sensor-Safe-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B0002UEOKK

I think it's recommended with some valve gasket installations to help prevent the gasket from being dislodged (pulled in an upward direction by the "Diffuser" part) when the valve handle is depressed when rotating the valve to another position.

You'll probably have to use a utility blade tool to assist in removing the old Gasket. I had to do this when I replaced my Gasket for the 1st time. My original Gasket was completely glued into the gasket channel.

See this thread for possible ideas on how to remove your gasket.

Stuck Spider Valve Gasket

I posted in this thread (post #4) and a link for a set of small Utility Blades that I used during my gasket removal.

Progress? I've attached some pictures of my grids today. It looks like the DE is starting to cling to them. Should I continue filtering and check it again tomorrow? I still see DE coming out my returns but I may now have to much DE in the system. Is it possible to have too much DE in the filter? Would it possibly help if I back washed and got rid of some?

Also, I've attached a picture of a small plastic piece (1" diameter) that I found in my back yard near the area where I clean the grids. Does it look like anything remotely connected to the grids?

thanks again...DE on grids  3-26-17.JPG

DE on Grids II  3-26-17.JPG

DE on Grids III  3-26-17.JPG

Plastic Piece II 3-26-17.JPG

OK, been almost a month, and have been dealing with other issues than my little pool...

Is there a certain "direction" that the manifold should face when I put it on the grids? Meaning, over the short grid, other side of the short grid? It seems like I'm going to have to angle one of the grids to get the manifold on the stand pipe.

I'm going to replace the spider gasket today. My current gasket has been totally glued in place. Thanks Scoop for the link on removing it.

Took all the grids out today, cleaned them off, wife and I inspected each for the tiniest of tears/holes, could see nothing.

TIL that the bottom of the grid stand illustrates just where to put each grid! Like I say, "too soon old, too late smart!"

Replaced the spider gasket in the multi-port. Took over an hour to get the old one out and the channels cleaned! Used an exacto knife, a round "scraper" and finished off with Goo-Gone and sandpaper.

Reinstalled grid filters, added a little clean slurry to test, started pumping/filtering, and still have what looks like the fresh new DE coming out! Should I leave it pumping for a while? Is there a way to test the manifold? Should I just spring for a new manifold (about $70)? Reading some reviews on amazon about the manifold and it seems like they have a short life span. True?

The multi-port valve seems to work ok.

Follow up....ordered a new manifold today....local dealer wants $135...same part # on Amazon...$70 w/free shipping!

thanks again to all who have stayed with me in this quest.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just replaced the manifold, started pumping, still have DE flowing into the pool...

but wait! I turned off the pump, and a small jet of water came out of a tiny crack in the clear strainer cover! Started/stopped again, I can see the almost invisible crack. I had noticed a few weeks ago a really small amount of water on the side of the strainer, but didn't give it much thought. just ordered a new strainer cover.

Is this causing the DE to get into the pool?

Is it time to consider replacing the top of the multi-port? I put a new spider gasket in last week.

thanks

ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.