Advice .....please

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
I am helping my neighbor with her pool and have an issue.....
The SWG is a Compupool T-15 cell and I don't know how old it is. I don't think it is making chlorine but it has been 60 degrees and overcast here. I have been running it 10 hours per day and the FC is dropping very slightly each day, pH is 7.6. On the Hayward Swim Pure Panel, the "inspect cell" and "low salt" started flashing but the green "Generating" was on. I checked the salt level with the Taylor Kit and it was 3000.I also used Muriatic Acid and cleaned the inside of the SWG really well. The "Inspect Cell and "Low Salt" light went out but came back on 10 days later. Leslie's says the cell pass their test.

Is it possible that the cell is "dead" but the green "Generating" light is on? :confused:

Thanks!

The water may just be too cold. During winter I turn my cell off and top up with chlorinating liquid. The manual is a good source for what the lights mean.

Nice of you to help her out :)

You can test the water temperature. As it hits 60 and below, it will be difficult for a SWG to generate chlorine. This sounds like the root issue since its dropping a little each day, as winter comes on.

If the temperature is say 70, then that would not be the root issue. You can capture a water sample in elbow depth away from a return and compare the free chlorine reading to a sample taken directly from the return. If you see higher values from the return, then you know the cell is not dead. But it may need cleaned, or it wearing out. You would need to examine it to see if there is scale built up.

If the readings are essentially the same, then it is not producing at all, you could examine the voltage and current at the cell itself to see if the SWG is powering it. You could look again at cell to see if there is scale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.