How to resurface old spa?

repairman

Gold Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Lompoc, CA (central coast)
IMG_5647.jpgHi All,
What is the best way to resurface my spa? I don't want to refiberglass it. Is there a paint or epoxy paint that I could use. I'm going to resurface my plaster pool too, so maybe I could use the same thing? I'm assuming I'll sand the spa and patch and acid wash the pool first.
Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

and any advice on a new main drain and light to replace the old ones?

Is that tub fiberglass? If so, it is likely gel coated. There are diy gel coat products available. Maybe more selection in boating/marine products. Plaster won't work if it is fiberglass because there is too much flex and it will crack and I'm not sure it would stick all that well. Somebody plastered my brother's fiberglass wall pool and that didn't turn out well.

Aha! Epoxy paint in pools typically only lasts 2-3 years. I think epoxy paint in the spa would work just as well as it would work in the pool. It should last a few years over fiberglass. It does on boats.

I resurfaced my old fiberglass slide after getting $1500 quotes to have it done professionally. It was about 10 hours of work and < $300 in materials to do it myself. I'm sure this process would work the same on your spa, but there is a ton of labor involved, especially in cleaning, sanding, cleaning, sanding, cleaning, painting, sanding, painting...

Refinishing slide

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.