oily residue in pool water

Jan 5, 2017
sydney, au
hi all, i have used a grease on my pool pump and solar pool pump. The grease is this one below:

Doustgrease 50g Anti-Wear Grease | Bunnings Warehouse

I have a problem, the pool water is very slightly greasy. It's NOT visible at all. However, I can feel it very slightly on my skin after swimming. So, I have removed the grease from my pool pump lids with mineral turpentine.

What about the grease in the water? Will this go away? Any suggestions on how to remove it or break it down?

Thanks and apologies if i didn't post in the correct section.

Welcome to TFP.

What makes you think it is the anti-wear grease that has created the greasiness. Often the greasy feel and look in the pool water from my experience is from sunscreen. I find that running the pump for a bit longer can help but the bugger problem I have is when it sticks to the sides of the pool.

Welcome to TFP.

What makes you think it is the anti-wear grease that has created the greasiness. Often the greasy feel and look in the pool water from my experience is from sunscreen. I find that running the pump for a bit longer can help but the bugger problem I have is when it sticks to the sides of the pool.

the reason why i think it is the anti wear grease is because i applied it too heavily. water tests are perfect. would super chlorinating the pool break down this slightly greasy substance?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Where did you apply this grease? Did you use it on the wet end (pump side) or dry end (motor side)?

Can you please post your "perfect" test results?

I would think it would take a lot of grease to cause the issue you are describing. Unless you used a tablespoon of it on the impeller shaft I would also be inclined to think this is sunscreen or another contaminant.

Oils and grease will almost always be visible on the surface of calm water.

A quick site search of 'removing oils from pool' yields many suggestions on how to approach this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=removing+oil+from+pool+site:www.troublefreepool.com&gws_rd=ssl

I doubt that the greasy feeling of the water is from the product. The product is a mineral oil. However, it would take a lot to be noticeable in the water. That seems unlikely from lubricating orings.

Have you used a submersible pump in the pool? They are filled with mineral oil that can leak out.

Typically, proper chemistry and filtration will fix most issues with water quality.

What are all of your readings?

What filter do you have?

A product called Pool First Aid from Natural Chemistry can help break down oil in water.

For the future, I would recommend using a silicone lube like Magic Lube II (red labe) (Not regular magic lube with the blue label).

I threw the print out of the test results in the bin because it was before this slight oil issue. I've owned the pool for a few years now, the results are good (am sure of it). It's a saltwater pool, sand filter. Recently I added powder form stabiliser to the pool and topped up the salt.

My partner is telling me that I'm being far too fussy with this. I'm just used to having it sparkling perfect and take alot of pride in my pool (lol). Thanks for your explanations and suggestions guys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool First Aid | Backyard Water Care | Natural Chemistry
I doubt that the greasy feeling of the water is from the product. The product is a mineral oil. However, it would take a lot to be noticeable in the water. That seems unlikely from lubricating orings.

Have you used a submersible pump in the pool? They are filled with mineral oil that can leak out.

Typically, proper chemistry and filtration will fix most issues with water quality.

What are all of your readings?

What filter do you have?

A product called Pool First Aid from Natural Chemistry can help break down oil in water.

For the future, I would recommend using a silicone lube like Magic Lube II (red labe) (Not regular magic lube with the blue label).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.