Owner/builder SoCal

I know. It's incredible how much construction costs have become. Our permits alone were 2k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accck lol this makes me happy I rent [emoji23][emoji23] Took me a long time here to find a house with a pool in an area I like [emoji849] Funny because my landlord learned of my handiness and always jokes she is going to make me go to her house to fix things lol

This year I am fixing the doorbell they wired up wrong and doesn't work, one of the sliding doors doesn't open well so will be fixing that, replacing all the screens on the sliders etc...

I think she likes having me around because I save her money between small things like that and handle the pool myself [emoji106]

The permits?????????? were 2k?????????? Where is the faint emoji?? OUCH!

LOL on Christina......does she take $$ for all you are doing to improve the house?

Kim:kim:

Hahaha nope but does kinda keep me from having to move with lease renewals... and no raises in rent so far :) I steal this house rent wise compared to what it would sell for so I am happy.. and I love having projects to do [emoji23][emoji23]

You have some interesting design issues. Generally you want lights facing away from the main seating area. Generally you want the equipment pad next to the house to reduce trenching and to hide it.

You may want to rethink dyi electrical. Pool electrical is different. What does your inspector expect in terms of bonding? Do they expect a subpanel? How are you at determining wire size? Have you read Article 680 in the 2011 NEC?

I have been wondering how it went..............it is STILL going! OUCH! I bet your whole body is sore! Did I see some jackhammer working going on in one spot? That is the little bobcat that could! One small load at a time BUT much better than one shovel full at a time!

What are you doing with the dirt?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You go girl [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] I may have to come swim in your pool when it's done [emoji23][emoji23]

You have some interesting design issues. Generally you want lights facing away from the main seating area. Generally you want the equipment pad next to the house to reduce trenching and to hide it.

You may want to rethink dyi electrical. Pool electrical is different. What does your inspector expect in terms of bonding? Do they expect a subpanel? How are you at determining wire size? Have you read Article 680 in the 2011 NEC?

Yes. The conduits were placed when we redid our driveway. It's on the side yard so close enough to the house. We are having multiple lights in multiple sizes. Mike can easily handle the electrical. He's a member so I'll let him answer these questions. I'm the grunt labor and landscaper and tiler.

I have been wondering how it went..............it is STILL going! OUCH! I bet your whole body is sore! Did I see some jackhammer working going on in one spot? That is the little bobcat that could! One small load at a time BUT much better than one shovel full at a time!

What are you doing with the dirt?

When we did the addition Mike and I moved the block wall. The jack hammering was the remnants of the old wall we had to remove.

The dirt is being dumped at a friends house who needs the dirt

I figured since dirt around here is like gold [emoji23][emoji23] hope you get enough accomplished before our next set of rain storms this week [emoji849][emoji849]

You go girl [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] I may have to come swim in your pool when it's done [emoji23][emoji23]

Everyone's invited! We are going to delay until the rains are gone - so maybe this weekend...This is as far as we've got for now. Mike is at work for the next two days. A bonus in waiting is we should have more help.

Generally you want lights facing away from the main seating

Just remembered that our plans don't have our actual lighting plans on them. The lights in the plans are just to get through the counter check. I totally agree and think it's pretty universal that no one likes when lights are shined in their face [emoji23][emoji23]. Indirect lighting is definitely preferred. It's funny I've been in a lot of spas and sometimes you just feel like "something's off" when you're relaxing at night and I think lighting is a huge part of that "off feeling". If the light is on the step it is pointing towards the people sitting there it should be opposite the step in our design. This would probably better light the step and not feel so harsh when you're sitting in the spa. Our plan so far is: the lighting for the swim up bar will be 3 of those small Hayward colorlogics placed between the four bar stools. In the baja shelf we will space 3 along the entry wall. We are open to any suggestions - that's why we are here for advice and help along the way [emoji4] what are your thoughts for deep end lighting?

I figured since dirt around here is like gold [emoji23][emoji23] hope you get enough accomplished before our next set of rain storms this week [emoji849][emoji849]

Can you believe there is an app to help connect people who need dirt with people who are getting rid of it? It's like match.com for dirt

Can you believe there is an app to help connect people who need dirt with people who are getting rid of it? It's like match.com for dirt

Go figure lol I was going to say if you don't, I probably know a few peeps and I could throw some in our flower beds that are empty [emoji23][emoji23] Project #657 on the list [emoji15]

Go figure lol I was going to say if you don't, I probably know a few peeps and I could throw some in our flower beds that are empty [emoji23][emoji23] Project #657 on the list [emoji15]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]I have enough dirt for everyone's planters. I'd feel like Oprah handing it all out, "you get dirt and you get dirt and YOU, you get dirt!" This isn't the soil I'd use in my planter though. Have you heard of Mel's mix? I make that for my planter beds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.