good test kit for those of us that are colorblind

Dec 30, 2016
Middle TN
I just installed new 18x36 in ground pool (self build) - I have been battling the water clarity since I filled it up a month or so ago. I have a Taylor test kit - however I have a mild case of color blindness and I can not distinguish the varies shades of red/pink that the test kit requires.....Are there any other kits out there that use a different method?

Thanks guys

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

What test kit (model number) are you using?

It sounds like you have a K-1000 Basic OTO Test Kit. With an OTO test you fill the tube to the mark and add 5 drops of reagent and match the color to the standard on the side. This the one?

We actually recommend using a FAS/DPD test. In this case you add water to the tube and add a powder which turns the sample pink/red. You then add drops (counting the drops) until the sample goes clear.

I use a Lamotte Color-Q Pro 7. Its drop based, but you insert into reader and it will report readings. I am very happy with it, and has helped me have a crystal clear pool.
Gary - Please do not confuse the specificity of the results the ColorQ gives with accuracy. We have had members attempt to use the ColorQ to follow our methods and almost all have abandoned its use due to inaccuracies and inconsistencies. We even had one member test the same sample of water three times in a row and ended up with three different sets of results. Here is an example of a ColorQ post: ColorQ vs TF100

Gary - Please do not confuse the specificity of the results the ColorQ gives with accuracy. We have had members attempt to use the ColorQ to follow our methods and almost all have abandoned its use due to inaccuracies and inconsistencies. We even had one member test the same sample of water three times in a row and ended up with three different sets of results. Here is an example of a ColorQ post: ColorQ vs TF100

I do not see that phenomenon. I am quite happy with the provided "accuracy" as reported by Lamotte as given to me and shown below. I have requested the same data from Taylor (on multiple occasions) on their kits and have not received. So I am happy with this accuracy. Also, you can not confuse repeatable values as accuracy either - i.e. if it always read FC off by +2 then it is repeatable but not accurate. So until I see results from Taylor or can reproduce with independent standards, then I am more than happy with mine.

ColorQ.jpg

I used a colourQ for a few years and think its possible to follow TFP methods with a colourQ. It's a good option if your colour blind and still better than relying on pool shop testing. Given the published accuracy the digital readout has too many decimal places giving the user a false sense of accuracy. I would round up the FC to the nearest 0.5ppm, pH to the nearest 0.1, TA & CH to the nearest 10ppm, and CYA to the nearest 5ppm. The unit and cuvetts probably need replacing every 2-3 years. It measures total hardness and not calcium hardness as indicated in the instructions, calcium hardness would very roughly be about 20% less. Given the variability of the vanishing dot CYA test the colourQ is most likely more accurate for CYA.

Holding the comparator up against a white background is the best. I have white walls and switching from blue sky to white walls helps. You can also use a drop or two of the acid demand reagent to manipulate the colour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.