Mollyj

Nov 14, 2014
Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, this pool is slowly but surely turning from a dream to a nasty nightmare. We started with great enthusiasm (well, I did - hubs doesn't swim) and have been beaten by the weather. We couldn't do as much filling in around the sides as we'd wanted to or get the plumbing done this week because it's been too hot. So, when it finally cooled down, we powered on out there, got the two valves in and the skimmer box. Filled it up partially, put the steps in, got the tops on.

Then, last night, it rained like you would not believe - really unusual for South Australia. Today, I got in the pool to do a bit of clearing up of leaves and stuff on the bottom and have found water under the liner and a big round hole right in the centre where I think the sand has got partially washed out. The bottom is all squishy and I got out fairly quickly after noticing I'd created a few footprints.

My question is, what can I do now? Both of us are so fed up after having worked so hard to get the base level smooth and nearly wrinkle free. I'm worried that the part of the bottom that has moved the sand round is where the pressure plate is and the bolts from that could come up through the liner. We did have more than 2 inches of sand in the bottom - it was more like four inches in places.

Should I continue on and do the rest of the plumbing and hope that the ground dries up nice and solid> I had started to fill in around the base The pool is about 60cm's in the ground and I'd only managed to put in about 6 inches of dirt all the way round.

I so do NOT want to be the one to say this :(

You are going to need to take the liner out and let everything dry out and redo the bottom. I am SO sorry this happened.

Share some pics and someone may have some ideas how to make it easier.

:hug:

Kim (no cheering for this one)

The cove and rest of the sand feel and look okay, it's just this one bit that appears to have washed out. My other half does not want to take the whole thing apart, he thinks that we will never get the liner back to where it should be. I'm all for getting it right. It rained again overnight - hopefully, this is the last of the rain for a few months. I'll take a few piccies of the damage later on.

Is it possible to partially pull back the liner on the non plumbed side and re do the sand in the area that has dipped?

Most anything is possible if you think it through and are willing to back track as needed. You know what you are dealing with better than I do until I can see the pictures and even then you will know what it looks like in real life and what you and your SO are willing to do. I can only tell you what I would do-make it right for the long term even if it means more work.

Kim

Thanks Kim Kats, I know what I'd do too. It's just been hard work with the hot weather, working and then this rain and mud. I had another look and the slightly washed out bit and it's a very small bit - it looks like the water came in through one side - by the main post - it was the one bit where the back filled dirt was very low. The sand cove is still intact all the way round and the floor is now looking pretty solid.

I'm tempted to leave it for now and then when summer is over, take the liner out and re install it. That way, I get to at least swim for a few months.

That is awesome the cove is intact. Swimming does sound like a LOT more fun that working on dirt LOL

I am with your SO on not taking the whole liner out. The chances of getting it lined up just right are slim and the amount of time needed could cause some problems with the liner. When it starts to cool off get some more dirt ready, peel back the liner closest to the bad place but NOT near the skimmer and return holes and work on the bottom.

The "hole" will be where the dirt and stuff will collect so it will be easy to vacuum so it is not all bad LOL

Will you be able to direct the water away from the pool so this does not happen again?

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim Kats, that's exactly what we're going to do, we can lift back the liner to where the rally bad dip is. My hubs is kind of worried that we'd never be able to get the liner back to where the plumbing is properly.

We are looking at re doing our whole lawn and garden area now and will make sure that the water is redirected right away from the pool. I'm also working on the back filling - tomorrow lol, today I need a rest and to check the plumbing works.

I'd love to start my New Year with a properly plumbed in, balanced clean pool - and a lovely long swim and float :)

Well, I'm swimming and enjoying the pool - the leaves and dirt on the bottom - not so much. At least all the plumbing is perfect and now we're back filling. We're due for some lovely hot days soon which will help to dry everything out. Can I share my Pinterest Pool page on here?

It's only of my pool right now, I 'm always working on ideas lol.

The net idea of using old or new net curtain material to cover the pool to stop leaves falling in is an ongoing one. It seemed to work on my little intex pool, but on the bigger pool, it wants to dip in the middle. I'm thinking that once the solar cover gets fitted it will be redundant anyhow as that will stop the leaves and bits getting in the pool.

I'm working on modifying the old vacuum from my 1st pool into a hose with filter only as it might help to make cleaning up the bottom and steps easier. It has a small filter bit with a non return bit in it attached to a brush. I'm thinking of doing away with the brush and just using the filter bit. The only thing is the end bit is round hard plastic and not really suitable for scraping along the bottom of the pool. So, I'm looking at attaching a silicon brush to it - not sure yet how to attach it - silicon sealant might be the answer - it seems to stop all the other leaks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.