New Pump Pentair Intelliflow 3HP issue running Polaris sweep

SamsIam

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2016
Arlington, TX
I just recently replaced my Hayward Superpump II 2HP with an Intelliflow VS Pump. After replacing it and starting it up, I notice that my pump never seems to fully prime although the pump drops out of prime mode and runs fine. When turning on my Polaris it won't run properly. It seems as it is not getting enough water pressure. It jerks back and forth and barely moves. As a test, I switched my valve to my hot tub for intake and the pump fully primed and the Polaris runs normal. Here is the dig - my pool returns are plumbed with 1 1/2" and the hot tub is plumbed with 2". One thing I did different this time is that I had to replace my Jandy Valves which were 1 1/2" (hot tub return was coupled down) to 2" so I stepped up the pool returns. I thought this would be more efficient but maybe I am wrong? I will also note that there is more length from hot tub return to last valve than there is from the pool valve to the last valve - at the pump.

Pic is before pump was replaced but basically the same.
Any ideas?
IMG_4044.jpg

About 2,600 to 3,000 rpm on an intelliflo will approximate a SP3015X20AZ Hayward Super II at 3,450 rpm.

Can you show a picture of your entire pad?

What rpm are you running the intelliflo?

Sounds like you might have a suction side air leak. Try opening the air relief on the filter to see if you get a lot of air. Wait 10 minutes and do it again. If you get a lot of air both times, it suggests an air leak.

Are you getting air out of the returns?

What was the filter pressure with the old pump?

What is the filter pressure with the new pump?

Do you have a booster pump?

Check the Polaris debris screen to make sure that it is clean.

Sounds like you might have a suction side air leak. Try opening the air relief on the filter to see if you get a lot of air. Wait 10 minutes and do it again. If you get a lot of air both times, it suggests an air leak.

Are you getting air out of the returns?

What was the filter pressure with the old pump?

What is the filter pressure with the new pump?

Do you have a booster pump?

Check the Polaris debris screen to make sure that it is clean.

thanks - i do have air. sounds like you may have a good idea. i will check that this weekend. i don't think i get much air on returns except on startup.
filter pressure was usually around 15psi and now i am doing good to get 8.

i do have a booster pump. i will check the debris screen - you think it would matter since it works with hottub filtering? albeit it still does not work near as good as it did before when the hayward was working good.

sorry - cut off the return for the skimmer. it is a mirror of the one in view.

Looks like the skimmer line is closed. Is that how you were running it?

Maybe a bad glue joint at the valves allowing air into the system on the pool side.

Try turning the pump off and on a few times to see if water squirts out.

Try using a hose to soak the joints while running to see if the air leak stops.

Check the skimmer while the pump is on to make sure that the water is flowing smoothly and not sucking air.

Looks like the Polaris suction is tapped into the pool return only. If the water is only going to the spa, then water will be sucked in from the pool return lines only and none from the pump.

The lower filter pressure from the SuperII to an IntelliFlo at 3100 rpm indicates a problem. 3100 rpm on an intelliflo should meet or exceed a 2 HP Super II unless it's an i1 model.

What specific intelliflo model did you get?

Thanks James! I swapped over to the skimmer and it took off and is running normally so it looks like I have a leak on the main drain side. Not sure why I never thought of that. Guess it is because I rarely use my skimmer because it has always been pretty crappy and I get a lot of evaporation so I have to keep up with pool level when it is in use. Another thing that never dawned on me is the polaris being on the pool return line. It has always worked pretty good when draining to the hot tub. I typically use it as my "skimmer" since my traditional skimmer sucks so bad (and not in a good way... ;) ). Here is the exact pump I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007E4VWNO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would expect the pressure to be at least 20 at 3100 rpm. I think that something is wrong. Maybe a suction side clog.

If you can check vacuum pressure and gpm, that would help.

Does the pump seem to be straining and making a lot of noise?

Sorry, how do you check those? The pump does not seem to be straining or making a lot of noise. Of course I have the Hayward to compare to and I replaced it partly because it had gotten so noisy so this pump is extremely quite to me. I guess I can take a video to see what you think.

You should be able to run at much lower than 3100 rpm.

You could get a flow meter, but that might not be worthwhile.

You could put a vacuum gauge into the suction side drain hole. That would be helpful, but again, maybe more trouble than it's worth.

A video might help.

What is the power that the pump is using? Check watts in control panel.

600 to 900 watts does not sound right for 3100 rpm. That's more like 2100 rpm.

OK,
I was way off. It is about 2100 at 3450 and about 1600 at 3100 RPM. Video below is startup - I need to reset my #1 as I had set it at 3450 messing around. I turned pump on - skimmer valve open. Then drop it to 3100 and then turn on my polaris. I think I kind of get it now. I guess I am a bit slow as I have never noticed this issue before this pump. Are you saying that the polaris return is most likely plumbed off of the main return? I followed you on the hottub part but missed that it was direct to the main which could be why I still get poor performance on pool sweep with skimmer open?

As for the main, I did find that my coupler did break the glue and is basically held on by the fact that the skimmer line is holding it down. Will work on fixing that - going to be fun because when I cut that line the pool will just overflow from pressure. Last time I had to drain like 1/2 the pool to get it to stop. Unless you know of a trick...

Here is the video.

Pump startup - YouTube

The power usage suggests that you're getting a lot of resistance on the suction side.

If you can get a vacuum gauge and screw it into the front drain plug hole, that could help. You might need to rig some tubing and fittings if the gauge won't screw in directly. It's a 1/4" npt thread.

What does the flow feel like coming out of the returns?

Can you post the pump model number from the sticker on the pump?

The Polaris booster pump is pulling from the return only.

To stop a line temporarily, make a ball of bread and stuff it into the line. It will hold long enough to make the new glue joint. It will dissolve and get pulled into the pump basket once the pump is turned on.

OK, I will work on that. I will look into getting a vacuum gauge. What power would you expect? You mentioned 2100RPM but not 3100. Is it high? I will check returns and will post model number.

The bread trick. I have used that on sweating copper pipers. This one may need a Hoagie bun!

- - - Updated - - -

will this gauge work?

HFS 2-1/2 Scientific

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.