Pool owner survey?

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
Has TFP ever had a survey of how members have come to be pool owners? It seems like a LOT of threads begin with, "I just bought a home with a pool..."

That's my story. I never sought-out pools while looking at houses, but I was intrigued by them. I wasn't even committed at the time of home inspection. My directions to the pool inspector were "make sure it's a viable pool, because I'll consider filling it in." Fast forward: I hang out on a pool forum and swim every chance I get!

That's also my story. I've never lived anywhere with a pool (other than apartments) and always wanted one, but it wasn't on the list of mandatory features for the new house. We were looking at houses online and my wife came across one that was just listed and it only had pictures of the back yard so far. "Pictures of the inside of the house coming soon" it said. One look at the shimmering water in summer time with the elevated hot tub w/ overflow and the waterfall over the sitting area and banana trees all over she decided that's the house she wanted. That's right, we put in an offer on a house that we hadn't seen the inside of. We bought that 34 year old house but the pool was only 6 years old. I figured everything would be in great shape since the pool was still so new, but I found out the hard way that pool equipment is VERY expensive, chemistry is everything, and even just 1 year of neglect can destroy a pool and all its equipment. I feel extremely lucky to have found this place, so full of very nice and helpful, patient people. I came into my pool not knowing anything other than how to swim and now it's the best looking/cleanest/safest pool on the block thanks to this site. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We almost did NOT buy this house because it had a pool! LOL Since everything else was purrfect for us and our critters we figured we could get rid of the pool if we found it was not something we did not want to deal with. Look at me now! A MOD on a pool forum! Got to love irony :roll:

Kim:kim:

We had 2 or 3 Intex pools over the years for the kids with not a lot of success. Lots of green pools, puck floaters, drain them and start over, switch to saltwater, etc. My wife really wanted a pool, my neighbor builds pools and one day after 6 or 7 years we struck a deal and a pool appeared. I decided I better learn how to maintain the pool or else I'd have to pay someone else to do it. So, I googled pool stuff ended up at TFP and haven't left. Luckily, I found TFP before the pool was finished. So, I've never had a green pool, never had to drain any water from the pool, never missed a day of swimming and my water has been clear every single day since the summer of 2012. Thanks TFP!

I found the site when we started looking at having a pool built. Invaluable during the build stage. And a piece of cake since. The SWG does most of the maintenance and the katchakid leaf cover keeps all the leaves and pollen out during the off season. Thanks TFP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an AG pool and mucked around with floaters and pH. Not much trouble but the pool was also a reservoir for irrigation water, so it was getting exchanged regularly.

We have a small herd of grandies, so when we settled here in Aus, we wanted a place with a pool, or a good spot to build one. Luckily the right house came along without a pool, so then I needed to try and learn enough not to get ripped off building one. I eventually found TFP and lurked enough to avoid pitfalls and money wasters and add the right things to end up with a trouble free pool, thanks to TFP :goodjob:

So in our case, we wanted a pool for the hot weather and for fun for the kids, and wouldn't have settled without one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had our current (first) pool installed - I finally gave in to my wife asking. Funny was about 30 years ago we didn't buy a house because it had a pool and my wife was afraid for the kids, and I was pushing for buying it. So we swapped over time. Compromise was got pool now with automatic cover.

We never had a pool, but bought a house in New England that had a 25 year old in ground pool. Almost never used it and I did a horrible job of maintaining it. I would have filled it in, but it cost too much and we weren't staying there many more years.

Then we moved to Tucson, we had a pool built, and I discovered TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.