Trouble closing pool (NJ)

Nov 17, 2016
NJ
Hey guys,

I'm a new homeowner who just recently tried to close his pool here in NJ. Last few months have been crazy busy for me with the new house and a baby on the way. Last week we had a cold snap so I couldn't delay any longer. I have a 16 x 32 vinyl pool with a Hayward superpump and DE pro grid filter. 1 skimmer and 4 returns. I do not have a main drain. I started by adjusting the chemicals, cleaned the pool and backwashed the filter, added winter shock and algaecide. I then installed a fitting on the pump to hook up my compressor. I began with 20 psi.. first line to bubble was the skimmer.. I took the shop vac out and sucked out all the water until it was bone dry. I then plugged it.. next line was 1 of the 4 returns.. I began plugging all of them until I was down to the last one, but it would not bubble up. What eventually happened was one of the lines which I already plugged began bubbling up. I turned off the compressor, tightened the plug on that line, and called it quits because I almost froze my butt off.. can anyone tell me where I went wrong?:(

Gqsince1985:

Welcome to the Forum. It is so hard to tell you want went wrong. Where exactly are you in NJ? Pictures of the equipment and a description of valves would be real helpful. I can guide you from there? Also, do not worry about anything with this weather. It takes quite a while before water in piping starts to freeze, so you do have time. It is when water freezes outsides and stays frozen for a while before anything could potentially happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you plugged all 3 return lines and on the last one a plug came out, the fitting was not tight enough or you have the wrong size. The black rubber expandable plugs should stick out in the pool and not be tucked in. This may be one of the problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering you do not have a main drain, fixing this problem will be easy. What I would recommend is make sure the first 3 returns are closed properly and then blow air with compressor for a few minutes until water starts bubbling on the last return and close that one off. You should be able to move most of the water out from the beginning to the end, if this makes sense.

Hey there, thanks for the response!

So, to recap, I have 4 returns lines and 1 skimmer. No main drains. No valves either other than the pressure release valve on top of the filter. Other than that, just a multiport to select between backwash, recirculate, rinse, filter, waste out, and closed. I installed a fitting on the side of the pump and hooked up the compressor @ 20 PSI. Skimmer blew first.. then the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd return. The 3rd return started to bubble so I shut off the compressor, loosened the wing nut and took the plug off (the plug basically shot out as soon as I started loosening the wing nut). I installed it again this time pushing it in as far as I could and turned the compressor back on.. I waited a couple mins and watched to see if the last return would bubble up before giving up. Here are some pics of my equipment:
Pump.jpgFilter.jpgMulti port (1).jpg

I waited a couple mins and watched to see if the last return would bubble up before giving up. Here are some pics of my equipment:

There is still a little confusion. The third return is now plugged up (correct?) If so, did you turn on the compressor again and did the 4 return start bubbling? It is the last return that bubbles and when this is plugged, you must quickly shut off compressor not to build up back pressure. Also, did you have your MP valve on recirculate? Less resistance.

- - - Updated - - -

Question: You may have lost air flow to the last return jet, probably due to the fact the skimmer (suction side), even closed allowed air to travel that way. It is best to plug the suction side in the pump basket with a black rubber expandable plug. This way, when blow air, it can only travel to the return side and not the skimmer side.

Also, what town are you in?

Thanks for the response. The skimmer and 3 of 4 returns are plugged up. The 4th return will not bubble up.

I will purchase another plug and try to plug the suction side of the pump basket when I get home,

I'm in Woodland Park.

- - - Updated - - -

I also had the multiport set to recirculate. The 3rd return began to bubble, so I stopped the compressor, tightened the plug, and got it to stop, but the 4th return still did not bubble up.

I also had the multiport set to recirculate. The 3rd return began to bubble, so I stopped the compressor, tightened the plug, and got it to stop, but the 4th return still did not bubble up

Do not shut off the compressor as you are closing each return. Only after the last return is closed, then you shut down the compressor. It sounds to me like you do not have not volume with your compressor (remember that you need volume and not pressure). Maybe plugging the suction side will work. Please keep us posted.

Once you get this cleared up, you may want to invest in the Cyclone for next year. Well worth the investment. Everything will run you about $400.

As of right now everything is plugged up except the suction side of the pump and the last return. Should I unplug everything and start over or should I plug the suction side of the pump and run the compressor? Thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a 6 HP Shop vac that I can use. Would that be better? the only thing is hooking it up to the system.. the hose is too wide

The compressor you have should do the trick and a 6HP shop vac is not necessarily the answer. When closing the returns, everything is done in sequence. The first return should start bubbling (then you plug it), then the next return should start bubbling (then plug it), and move on to the last. It is strange that you are at the 3rd return and nothing happens with the 4th. The only logical explanation is that there is not enough volume of air to move things along.

Try plugging the suction side of the pump as I mentioned previously. If you go through the sequence with the plugged side on the last return, then try plugging the 4th return (leave the 3rd open) and blow air through the system and if the 3rd return starts bubbling them close off the return. There may be some water left in the piping, but not enough to do any damage, especially with NJ weather.

This reminds me of my sprinkler system (which is only 6" below the ground at most). I sometimes close off the first 2 heads and the last head and let the compressor blow out the water. Because the runs are so long, even my large air compressor with a lot of PSI (like 100 psi) is barely enough. The system has been in place for 16 years with no damage.

You may just have to plug the system, then build up compressor and turn on. When you turn on, quickly open 4th return in pool to see if there is any bubbling and then close off.

If you feel uncomfortable, the only other option is to lower the water below the returns. Depending on the cover you have, the pool will fill back up with rain and snow water through the winter. Removing water out of the returns will be a lot easier as there is no resistance. If you go this route, you could also fill your pool back up over the returns as the city water is pretty good and will not throw off your chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.