Freeze protection is draining my hot tub - help!

Dec 18, 2016
katy tx
New pool owners, builders haven't even handed over to us yet. We are getting below freezing temps (barely) in the houston area and this morning my spa starts draining. I shut everything off, filled it and turned everything back on again and seemingly no issue. Pool company is closed over the weekend, superintendent finally texts me back and tells me he thinks that the valves are set wrong and the freeze protect is draining the hot tub into the pool and he'll come check it out tomorrow. So what to do tonight.

1) Just leave it be.
The pump is sucking air after it drains, worried about burning something up. Also, the pebble is still curing, not sure how being left exposed will affect it.

2) Keep hoping I catch it
Just might not catch it

3) Fill it back up, but leave all the equipment off
Worried that then the pipes might actually freeze!

Any thoughts?

What kind of automation system do you have? (Please fill out your signature line with your equipment)

Many of the automation systems are setup so that when freeze protect is enabled on the pool and spa, the pool/spa valves will engage every 15mins or so so that both bodies of water are running. The problem is, each time the valves transition between POOL and SPA mode, there is a very short period of time when the pump is pulling from both the pool and the spa drains and returning to both. However, no plumbing system will be perfectly balanced and, if it's the case for your spa that water is returned faster to the pool, then each cycle will drain a little water form the spa into the pool. Eventually, you'll drain the spa.

I have my automation setup so that freeze protect only engages on a very slow pumping feature circuit with my VSP set at the lowest speed and the valves adjusted so the spa spillover is engaged. This means that a small trickle of water will flow into my spa and through the spillway as well as to the pool return. The pump speed is set to the lowest possible value to get just barely a trickle of water through the system. This is more than enough to keep the pool from freezing while minimizing electrical usage (pump power draw is less than 150W).

15k gallon pool/spa, pebble sheen
Pentair Easy Touch Control System
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
Mastertemp 400 heater (gas)
Pentair Intelliflo2 VSP

This isn't a slow drain, it's full to empty in 15 minutes or so.

Then the spa return valve is not properly engaging. In other words, the pump is pulling from the spa and sending the water to the pool.

Check that your valves are properly actuating when you change from pool to spa mode.

An alternative fix is to change the freeze protect setting so that it is only active on the POOL mode, not the SPA mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shutting off the freeze protection is likely very fine. I just looked up Houston temps - currently 36, with a low of only 31. There are some very sharp people on here and in other posts they talk about how long it really takes the water to freeze inside the pipes, even above ground. With those temps you'll be just fine. In Dallas it's 22 right now, but the pool water is still 42.

Knowing you have Pentair and the ET system - assuming you've got the automated actuators to control pool, spa, etc. it's likely that the physical switch on the actuator on the spa may need to be flipped to the other position. You are pulling from the spa and returning to the pool, when it should just be circulating to the spa or pool at any given time.

Freeze protection - if you have it turned on for both the pool and the spa - will run the pool for 15 minutes and then the spa for 15 minutes. Sounds like the spa valve is just out of sync for where it needs to be. Could be more serious, but sounds like it is just out of sync. Until it's all set up it is hard to know though. I wouldn't want fresh plaster to not have water on it during freezing temps however so I think you're doing the right thing.

Awesome, appreciate everyones input. I was able to find and turn off the freeze protection for just the spa. Held water overnight and no obvious issues. Superintendent is coming out today, he does think that it is a problem with the actuator not set correctly.

Just a mention - I know you've said things are not set up yet and not turned over to you, but if you've got the automation and a screen logic remote, is that the Screen Logic 2 - which will allow you to connect from an Android or iOS device or a remote that is mounted on the wall? If you've paid for a remote on the wall you might consider swapping that out for the wireless connection- you can use any smartphone with it locally or even while away from the house. Really love having that vs a remote on the wall.

Great question, I actually wasn't wanting to pay extra for the remote and right before the contract was finalized they threw it in for free so I didn't complain! I'll ask about the details, not sure how much leverage I have at this point but controlling it from the phone would sure be convenient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.