LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
Venice, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I discovered 2 unrelated problems today. 1. I found water trickling up through the electrical conduit from my spa light into the control panel. 2. I found (actually I had some prior knowledge that it was acting up) my return automated actuator not working, and upon investigating, there is water and corrosion in the actuator unit itself. It is late on Saturday, and we, here in Austin are expecting 2 nights of 20 degree temps. i will need the freeze protection action of the hayward system. After draining the spa, disconnecting the power and finding no company to come to our rescue, I had to come up with a temporary fix. My very temporary fix was to disconnect the wires to the light in the panel, pack them into the conduit and screw a cap onto the conduit to prevent water from coming into the panel. For the valve, I disconnected it from power and I set it to the middle having it return to pool and spa. I am hoping that, when the freeze protect mode comes on, I will not have caused any further damage.

Can someone tell me 1, how bad this leaky light problem is 2.tell me if it is worth it for me to simply replace the actuator myself or if there might be something more insidious given that there is a bit of water IN the actuator and 3. if they have any suggestions as to what I should have done?

Thank you

1. You should relocate light conduit into a junction box that is higher than the spa water level.2. If there is water in actuator you should replace and is fairly easy to do. 3. Try to locate source of where water entered actuator. Usually from a leaking shaft o ring in the valve. You can easily replace with a o ring kit for your valve. You can temporarily remove actuator and use valve manually.

Your spa light conduit should not be terminating into the control panel. There are codes that mandate the use of a junction box in between just for this reason. It makes me wonder if your job had a final inspection. That would have/ should have been found at the time of inspection. Even though your build was about 4 years ago, you should inform your builder of this and get him to correct it.

It is unsafe, and If he is unwilling to correct it, remind him that if anyone were to get injured as a result of this particular install, he would be liable for damages.

Thank you for your replies, but would like to resurrect my query. I have just had a company come to repair the leak in the light niche. However, I return home to find the same volume of water pouring out of the control box as before. They want to come back and do exactly what you are saying, install a junction box. My concern, however, is the origin of the water. The flow is substantial. Does anyone have any idea where it may be coming from?

I wish there was a final inspection, but no permits are required for pool installations in my county (just the gas). My pool builder, unfortunately, is no longer in business.

The light conduit will always have pool water in it. Whether it has a leak or not. This is the design of it. If there is water coming out of the conduit, it means that the point where the conduit "daylights" is lower (in elevation) than the water level in the pool. If you extend the conduit vertically to a point higher than the pool water level the water should stop. If you are having this reworked, meaning installing a j-box, make sure that they mount the j-box 1 to 1 1/2 ft above the water level.

Unless they can relocate the junction box closer to the pool and spa, to make up the difference in height you may have to replace light. Sometimes there is some extra cord in the niche for servicing but usually not enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.