Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spa plaster crack turns out to be delamination/bubble

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Spa plaster crack turns out to be delamination/bubble

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    Promises of smoked meats, cash, and liquor may be your best play here . . .

Oh that goes without saying. Any contract will have the standard "smoked meat & adult beverages" clause. I once fed a plumbing contractor and his two workers a BBQ'd flank steak meal for going the extra mile and staying late to troubleshoot a leaky gas line. They really enjoyed the steak and beers.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

2. Back To Top    #22

After seeing some of your meals on the grilling post, I am racking my brain trying to figure out what I could help you with!

3. Back To Top    #23

In the Industry

Hold the phone on the acid wash unless this is something you want to tackle yourself. Don't waste your money paying someone and here's why:

This is 10 year old Pebble Tec and its pretty easy to see how much color was lost when compared to the areas that I chipped out

So I did an experiment for your benefit. Here is a section of the wall that I acid washed. You can see some change in the color but not enough to warrant draining and acid washing the entire pool. For the quote above where it was mentioned that a Pebble pool can get freshened up from the wash , I think that pertains much more to pools that are poorly maintained and they have heavy stains and scaling. Obviously an acid wash would be an improvement. In your situation I just don't see it being worth it.

That was undiluted trade strength acid that was left on for 5 minutes. I did a section where I left the acid for 30 minutes and that definitely brought some color back but that was because tons of pebble fell out and exposed plaster that has never seen the light of day.

Here is a chip of the original color compared to the existing section that was acid washed

And so you don't think I'm crazy, this pool had a beach entry that was terribly steep, so much so that several people had fallen while entering the pool. These steps were built and plastered with a rough texture to blend with the pebble surface. The whole pool will be shot in Mediterranean Blue AquaBright and the slide will get a coat of Sahara Sand.

If you really want AquaBright I might be willing to make the trip...the only problem is I absolutely hate driving so I will need Danny to be my chauffeur.
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

4. Back To Top    #24

As long as we make a pit stop in Texas and turn my pool into perle noir magic I'm driving! My black pebblesheen plaster has turned gray on most of the horizontal surfaces. 5 swim seasons. Actually it didn't stay black that long, only 3 or 4 years. Most of the vertical surfaces are still mostly black.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #25

In the Industry

Odd that it's not uniform. Are the darker areas shaded most of the day?
    -Brian-

6. Back To Top    #26

Yes, the pool only gets full sun for a little over an hour per day during summer. I haven't really looked at the south facing walls to see if they are lighter than the north facing walls. But, I think they might be.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #27

In the Industry

That would certainly point to the pigment fading more from UV light than chlorine levels. I know you maintain higher than average FC most of the time and if the fading was the result of chlorine I would suspect the discoloration to be much more uniform.

The pool pictured above uses a pool service so who really knows what it's been through in its lifetime.
    -Brian-

8. Back To Top    #28

UV + chlorine ---> OH● (hydroxyl radicals)

Hydroxyl radicals are very potent oxidizer that can pretty much destroy any organic compound...including dyes and pigments. The rate of formation of hydroxyl radicals is fairly low but it does occur so it would not surprise me that a surface with a high incidence angle of sunlight would get more fading than a vertical wall.

Brian,

Thanks for the experiment!! I appreciate your advice and I was intending on waiting through the winter to see how the patch "fades" with a little time. I'm not super-annoyed with it at all, it is what it is. I always knew the P-Tek would never be perfect. But I am glad you posted those pictures as it confirms for me what I always thought to be true about acid washing - not a lot of upside but plenty of downside if it's done wrong.

Danny,

We start in Texas with pearl-noir, smoke ourselves some brisket and drink lots of Shiner Bock. Then we head to Tucson for a quick shot of Mediterranean-Blue in my pool and lots of spicy chili verde and plenty Barrio Blonde ale. Then we'll head to Cali and drop off a very tired and hungover (but well-fed) Brian on his doorstep....we'll leave him there with nothing on but his Nomex chonies and pair of high-heels....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #29

TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #30

In the Industry

Doesn't sound so bad so long as the heels are CLB's. My wife tells me they are the ultimate in comfort.

I'll give you a special deal if you go with Pacific Blue... I'd really like to see this color in person.
    -Brian-

11. Back To Top    #31

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    After seeing some of your meals on the grilling post, I am racking my brain trying to figure out what I could help you with!

Well, I have about 300 ft of c-block retaining wall that desperately needs to be built around my casita....perhaps you can help me if I make you Chilean Sea Bass with roasted squash & quinoa -

Matt

12. Back To Top    #32

In the Industry

Deal... I'll bring the mixer too
    -Brian-

13. Back To Top    #33

I'm in!!!!

14. Back To Top    #34

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Deal... I'll bring the mixer too
    Margarita or cement??

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    I'm in!!!!
    At $27 per pound for the sea bass I'm not sure what's going to cost more, the wall or the dinner(s)....
    Matt

15. Back To Top    #35

Okay, okay. I'll settle for flank steak...!

16. Back To Top    #36

I'm about to get all over this

IMG_20161215_192922.jpg

IMG_20161215_192930.jpg
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #37

Is that a bone-in pork shoulder and full brisket (point and flat)?

That's a whole-lotta meat there....

Matt

18. Back To Top    #38

Ding ding 16lb whole brisket and a 12 lb butt

IMG_20161215_205859.jpg

IMG_20161215_205946.jpg
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #39

Nice beer fridge. I just loaded mine up with two 24 bottle packs of New Belgium Fat Tire, Citradelic, 1554 Black Ale and Accumulation White IPA (there's some Shiner Bock in there too) -

Matt

20. Back To Top    #40

Jealous! Like your variety. We have a nitro-mix Guinness tapper in ours right now and some various brands of Oktoberfest as well as some Sophie. Not sure if you guys can get Sophie. Good stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast