Dispensing Bleach Ideas

Apr 2, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I just switched to Bleach after getting my CYA ~30ppm.

I have a 410 gallon above ground tub and would like to get hear how everyone is measuring/dispensing their bleach.

Currently I have a measuring cup but accuracy is only rough (i.e. pool calculator calls for 2.9oz).

What other ways do you all use to be more precise? A syringe comes to mind?

How about having any pre-measured amounts ready to go? If so, how do you do that. It would make it easy for others to add when I'm not around.

Thanks for the ideas!

How about automatic dispensing? Many are using a peristaltic pump which can be accurately metered.

I have a jug of bleach and a 1/4 cup scoop which is 2 oz which adds 3 ppm FC to my tub. My tub uses about 1/4 cup of bleach per person hour in the tub. I just eyeball it and estimate the time. Give or take a1 or 2 ppm isn't really a big deal. The more important measurement is an hour or two later to make sure that FC didn't drop to 0. With CYA at 30 it is safe to hot tub with FC up to 12 ppm. I generally try to keep my FC at 10 or less so it doesn't interfere with the pH test. If I know nobody is getting in the tub for another day or so I'll add 3 scoops which puts me at 9-10 ppm. Then I know FC won't drop to 0 for at least a day.

I have a jug of bleach and a 1/4 cup scoop which is 2 oz which adds 3 ppm FC to my tub. My tub uses about 1/4 cup of bleach per person hour in the tub. I just eyeball it and estimate the time. Give or take a1 or 2 ppm isn't really a big deal. The more important measurement is an hour or two later to make sure that FC didn't drop to 0. With CYA at 30 it is safe to hot tub with FC up to 12 ppm. I generally try to keep my FC at 10 or less so it doesn't interfere with the pH test. If I know nobody is getting in the tub for another day or so I'll add 3 scoops which puts me at 9-10 ppm. Then I know FC won't drop to 0 for at least a day.

Thanks pooldv... I suppose I was trying to overcomplicate and make it accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.