Can I cover but not close?

Beefer

Oct 13, 2012
We're in Florida, and it never freezes here, but we've been getting hammered by evaporation. The monthly water bill has tripled, and we seem to be topping off the pool daily (about 4-5"). I'm 99.9% sure it's not a leak, as a bucket evaporates at the same rate. It's crazy.

Anyway, we want to cover the pool to reduce/eliminate the evaporation, but if we do that, what would we have to do to the pool (if anything)? Would we still run the pump with the cover, or is that unnecessary with a cover?

Or is there something else we can do? We don't use the pool from 11/1 thru 3/15 or so. Thanks!

James, you're right. I just measured, and we're losing about 2-3" per day. Night time temps are in the mid-upper 70's, occasionally low 80's. I think it's dipped below 70 2-3 times in the last month or so. Humidity levels have been low by FL standards, around 40-50% RH, but I'm really not sure exactly. Today was the first day in quite a while where it has rained, and the humidity was high. Winds have been pretty light (<5mph) for the most part.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and there have been days (not many) where the pool has not needed to be refilled/topped off, but those have been few and not the norm lately. In the summer, we were topping off about once per week.

2 to 3" per day still seems high unless the pool is heated.

Are you sure that a bucket test shows the same amount of evaporation?

You can use a solar cover, solid cover with water bags or a safety cover (dense mesh or solid, not regular mesh).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.