Selling furniture. 100% NON-pool related

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
This year I combined 3 households into 1. The result was that I can't park in my garage.

I've heard that selling furniture is more hassle than its worth, so I've donated a ton, but now I'm down to some stuff that I'd rather not just give away.

Any advice? Websites to use/avoid? Should I wait until after the holidays?

Pictures and more pictures so there are NO questions about how it looks.

Patience.........no matter where you list it you will get tire kickers and low ball offers.

CAREFUL! You will let people know where you live..........not always safe.

What is your time worth?? I have found my time is worth more than the time and aggravation of answering questions and waiting for No Shows!

C-list or your local Neighbors site.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've sold a bunch of stuff on Craigslist. On the one hand it is a pain but on the other hand it is free! Take many pictures and I would list it anytime. People buy stuff year around.

Many people recommend to meet a potential buyer at a neutral site but with furniture that might be a huge pain also. And take cash only, be prepared for Paypal scammers, out of towners, etc.

What is your time worth?? I have found my time is worth more than the time and aggravation of answering questions and waiting for No Shows!

That's exactly the sentiment I heard when I first started to get rid of stuff. I donated the entire kitchen (cupboards, sinks, appliances, granite) and items like beds, bedding and small furniture etc. It was stuff that could easily be put to good use and it will feel good again on tax day. I would like to get some cash for this last round of stuff though. I'm hoping it will be worth my time, but fear that it won't be.

Yeah, I've sold a bunch of stuff on Craigslist. On the one hand it is a pain but on the other hand it is free! Take many pictures and I would list it anytime. People buy stuff year around.

Many people recommend to meet a potential buyer at a neutral site but with furniture that might be a huge pain also. And take cash only, be prepared for Paypal scammers, out of towners, etc.

Yeah, I think I'll have to allow people to come to the house, but I have cameras and security systems that should discourage any sane criminal. I'll insist on cash and keep my guard up for scams. (I'm fairly cynical to begin with and keep The People's Court on my DVR) :)

It's been an experience! My garage is almost clear, and my wallet is fat with 20's. Craigslist was pretty much a bust. The holiday break was a busy time there, so I think my stuff just got buried. I had much better luck with LetGo. Furniture was relatively easy, but only at low values. I still have a really nice coffee table listed for $250. It gets no attention.

One day in particular was an eye-opener. I had a twin bed in excellent condition - too nice to throw out and charities don't risk taking beds because of bedbugs. Nothing happened at $25 and I wanted to park in the garage, so I marked it as free. Someone bit within hours and I gave her directions to my house. Right on time, a symbol of American poverty pulled up in an 18 year old minivan with a handicap lift and no exhaust. The man in the back appeared to be a quadriplegic. Two male passengers removed the headrest from the wheelchair so they could jam the mattresses in while I held prevented the broken tailgate from slamming down on them. All I could think about was what a heel I would've been if I had sold this nearly-worthless bed to them. Can you imagine standing next to a quadriplegic's $50 van and collecting $25 for a bed? whew. that was sobering.

Once most of the furniture was gone, I started posting stereo equipment. That's a WHOLE different demographic. As far as I can tell, I'm hearing from 19 year olds who skipped a LOT of school and struggle with social skills, sleeping schedules and time-keeping. Yesterday someone offered me 50% of my price and asked if I would deliver the item to him. I think I hate them.

Interesting stories, thanks for sharing that. It is quite the dilemma trying to figure out what to do with old stuff. Teenagers these days are not afraid to ask for anything. Not sure if that is good or bad but I'm with you that it is painful to be the one being asked sometimes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.