Time to replace or repair?

Limey

Jul 14, 2011
Central Florida
I'm relatively new to pool ownership after having inherited a pool that came with my home purchase over 5 years ago.

Recently my starite T240bp sand pool filter started acting abnormally, this occurred when I was using the in ground pool dedicated suction line to manually vacuum debris from the pool floor. The pressure guage needle was jumping all over all the place every millisecond. Turned off and backwashed etc still issue on vac aide. Running the pool on filtration with the vac side off seemed ok.

Roll forward last week, pool pump on filter stable and working but visually notice water dripping put the neck of the sand filter container.

I'm thinking since the unit is over 7 years old and that they also no longer make a valve assembly for it that it might be best to replace it like for like for a hayward sand 24" unit. Sees these on sale for about $330 plus sand and plumbing.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether to repair / service my existing unit or just replace. Adding up parts plus even perhaps the sand filter arms if they are faulty runs alot.

Thanks.

I attached two pics of the devices that fit my price and also would be replacing the current crystal flo T-240bp-1 unit that I have.

78120e1d8a2e9a9ca7bb2d11b638fa2a.jpg

0aa3ad5cabebc7ab51ccbdd5bf3c5a6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

7 years is not really that old for a sand filter. Where exactly is it leaking? If it's from the location where the MPV joins to the housing, I would simply remove the MPV and inspect the o-ring between the two. It may only be that you need to replace that o-ring. Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo Sand Top Mount Parts - INYOPools.com
Part #2 for $15. If the o-ring doesn't have any nicks or cuts in it, simply lubricating the o-ring with a teflon grease and reinstalling may be enough. When reinstalling, once you get the retaining ring snug on the filter, tap the ring a little between every couple of tightenings on the retaining screw. This helps seat the o-ring properly as you tighten.

You could look at replacing the pressure gauge as well, if you think that it may be faulty or broken. You may also have a suction side leak in the dedicated suction line causing the erratic pressure readings. Were there air bubbles in the pump basket when using the suction line?

I'm going to take some pics and perhaps a video of the noise it makes.

I ran it earlier today on on recalculate as the pressure was bouncing all over. But there was water also pouring out of the drain waste pipe. Probably also the spider gasket faulty also. The noise I think coupled with the pressure bouncing I think could be the sand is old. I'll post with pics later. Thanks.

OK. Looks like you cannot get replacement parts for the current MPV and would have to replace with Pentair Valve, 1-1/2 Top Mt. Clamp Style (261186) - INYOPools.com to repair any damage to the spider gasket.

Sand is already old when it goes in the filter for the first time. Millions of years old. Backflushing is usually enough to disturb the sand and remove any channeling in the sand. If your spider gasket is not working properly, that could inhibit the effectiveness of the backwashing. Even badly gunked up sand from a massive algae bloom can be refreshed by deep cleaning the filter. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

If you do decide to replace, I would certainly go with the Hayward filter. Parts will be easier to find for a longer period of time and quality is better than some knock-off brands.

Not sure if you can see my video I posted?

I noticed everytime I shut down the pool pump the water in the basket goes down and I can hear sucking noise from the waste pipe from the sand filter, prior to that there would be bubbles coming from the jets in the pool momentarily when the pump started, was like this for a few months or even a year prior. Originally would only do that when the pump was off for extneded period of time.

Whether I place the jandy valve to only skimmer side or suction side the pool sand filter still makes a knocking noise with the pressure guage being erratic, before when the problems first started the noise and erratic pressure would occur only if the jandy was set on suction side placing the jandy valve on skimer side only would be a band aid at the time fix, but now it does those noises on either full suction side or full skimmer side. I also noticed water leaking not just from the neck of the filter but also yesterday when I was filming it from the filter valve handle. It seems to be getting worse.

Question, before opening the sand filter valve , should one remove the drain plug from the filter to reduce pressure?

you shouldn't need to remove the drain plug, when the pump is off the pressure should go down to zero unless
the pressure gauge is faulty.

I have one of those multi-ports too, it had developed a crack in the housing just above the collar and would drip steadily
on. my home warranty covered the replacement mpv. The repair guy said my extra spider gasket I bought was useless
due to the way they are now secured to the mpv internally.

I guess the best option is to just buy a complete new Hayward 24inch device, other alternative I see is to buy the replacement complete valve unit ( which needs plumbing ) part :

Pentair Valve, 1-1/2 Top Mt. Clamp Style (261186) - INYOPools.com

Ive seen a few videos stating that if the top is also leaking then it is best to replace the complete valve system, remember, mine is leaking from the neck and also the top handle area of the part number wc112-148 for my STA RITE T-240BP-1.

Still not sure what the knocking noise and erratic pressure readings fluctuations are ? I posted the video.

Has the pump been replaced since you have had the house. If the flow rate through the MPV is higher than what it is rated for you will sometimes get a popcorn sound in the valve. If you replace the valve it is my recommendation that you go to 2". Remember the flow rate for the 24" Hayward Sand filter is about 64 GPM.

Has the pump been replaced since you have had the house. If the flow rate through the MPV is higher than what it is rated for you will sometimes get a popcorn sound in the valve. If you replace the valve it is my recommendation that you go to 2". Remember the flow rate for the 24" Hayward Sand filter is about 64 GPM.
Hi, sorry for sound dumb, when you mention changing it to 2" are you referring to the inlet and outlet pipes to the filter valve? If so wouldn't that require a full replumb since those pipes are coming from the pool skimmer also ?

The Hayward 24" sand filter I think has 1.5" pipes on the multi valve on top of the filter housing .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure if the filter you have has the ability to change to a 2" valve. Check with the manufacture. The 2" valve has 2" ports and will handle higher flow rates without having the popcorn sound. You can buy a S244T2 which comes with a 2" valve. Again the 24" sand filter handles a maximum of 64 GPM. Going up to a 310T2 will handle 98 GPM maximum. You may need to re-plumb. What is the HP and make of the current or new pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.