How are my levels?

elight

Bronze Supporter
Mar 20, 2015
Orlando, FL
I've been following this site for almost a year, and started doing my own testing exclusively with a K-2006 test kit in the spring. Here in Central Florida, I keep the pool open year-round (with the solar heater and thermal blanket, it's currently running 82 despite an unseasonably cool week) and swim 9-10 months out of the year.

The thing I struggle with is to keep the pH in line. I have a spa spill-over, but once I put the thermal blanket on, I shut off the return to the spa (it will need a mini-SLAM when I open it back up in the spring). Even with the spill-over off, pH still rises very fast. Yesterday, after a week, it needed 4 cups of acid (reading was off the chart, probably 8.2ish) to get back down to 7.8. I keep lowering the TA to see if it will help but it has note yet - should I go all the way down to 50?

FC: 7.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 70
CH: 350
CYA: 30
CSI: 0.26

With your spillover off, and assuming your plaster is not new, then it sounds as if your chemistry is still searching for its "happy place". Yes, you can let the TA drop a little more - at least to 60. See if that helps. 50 is not out of the question either, but best to go in stages. Some pools never seem to like a pH of 7.5 and seem to settle best at 7.7-7.8 anyways. With a little more adjusting/experimenting, I suspect your pool will find that sweet spot between TA and pH as well. Have a nice weekend.

Plaster is at least a few years old (I've lived in house for over 2 years). I'll try to lower TA. Should I then turn the spillover back on to get pH back up to the desired range, or should I leave it and see what happens?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You can bring the pH down as low as 7.0 before considering aeration. A short duration won't hurt anything. If the pH is going to raise as history dictates, you should see changes fairly soon. But if the pH remains in the mid-7s, you know the lower TA did the trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.