Extension cord for Dolphin???

Muddah

Jan 27, 2016
Tulsa, OK
I'm getting ready to purchase either the Dolphin Active 30i or the S300i but will likely need an extension cord in order for the cleaner to cover the entire pool since my nearest outlet is about 40' from the closest edge of the pool. Since the pool is 44' long and has a hot tub between the deep and shallow ends, I'm not sure the 60' cord will be long enough. The Maytronics website stated that extension cords are not to be used. However, the salesperson from whom I will be buying said that I can use a heavy duty one. I know that commercial Dolphins have longer power cords, but I would think the price is significantly higher for a commercial cleaner. Has anyone had the same issue? Is a power cord safe to use? I tend to believe the Maytronics website over what the salesman told me.
Thanks!

Since the power cord is already a relatively thin gauge and the Dolphins don't use much power, I would see no issue with using a decent extension cord, as long as you have a nice place for the power supply. The only normal concern is water around electricity, and take normal precautions for that.

How old is your pool? It should have a GFCI protected outlet within 20 feet of the pool.

Do not use an extension cord. In a wet deck environment the risk of stray voltage while small is signicant.

I suspect an electrician would not charge that much to install a couple of convenience outlets.

If your pool is not a year old I would call the pool builder and have him come install a GFCI protected outlet within 20 feet of the pool for free. He should have done it when he installed your pool.

Oklahoma follows the International Building Code. It requires ( as does the NEC) at least one convenience outlet between 6 and 20 feet from the pool. NEC 680.22(A)(1) IBC E4213.1.2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.