Winterizing 2-hole skimmer

elie

Nov 15, 2016
Draper
Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: Winterizing 2-hole skimmer

I have a related question/confirmation as a first time pool owner. I believe my second holes in the skimmer are attached to an equalizer line which kept refilling the skimmer. My first attempt to plug those holes did not succeed as the caps were letting water back in. I bought two new caps and with enough Teflon and a sealer, I managed to keep the water from coming back in. Now on the second hole, I sucked/blew all water from the pipes to the pump and installed a gizmo, but I'm trying to understand the purpose. The skimmer is now fully empty. Is the purpose of the gizmo to be a secondary measure in case rain water gets into the skimmer? Is what I have done to winterize the skimmers correct? B the way, I did lower the pool water little over 1 inch from the skimmer opening or tile line.
I would really appreciate any help with this.
Thank you.

Elie:

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature. Regarding, the equalizer line (2-hole skimmer), this one has always baffled me. In some cases, the second line is the main drain and skimmer all in one. In other cases, it is designed to fill the skimmer up with water from the pool so the system does not suck in air. Regardless, the closing method of all pools is similar. You are merely trying to remove water and add air or leave the plumbing empty (or near empty with water). If you can close the other side with a black plug or some sort of stopper, that is sufficient. Otherwise, you will have to create air and lock in the air, or what we call an "air lock". Air lock's can be performed with either a shut off valve and/or plug. This is what you will need to do with your skimmers, based on design.

The Gizmo is merely a tool that allows expansion of ice in the skimmer basket so it does not crack. If the threads of the plumbing and Gizmo are in tact, a good quality Teflon tape is all you need. When installing the Gizmo, take extra time and install carefully not to strip the plastic. Hand tighten and you are done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.