Problems with solar.

Nov 5, 2016
Orlando fl
Hi all!

im a new owner of an existing pool. I think I've learned a lot over the past few weeks. I've replaced the air relief assembly on my filter, I've rebuilt the intervals of my jandy caretaker, I've even found and patched a leak around the skimmer.

So when I noticed that the solar was leaking from a badly repaired elbow joint on the side up to the top of the panels "no problem" I think to myself. I'll get sone 2" pvc bits and make a fix myself.

(I should point out I just want to get through the winter, the house will need a new roof soon so the plan was to do that in the spring when I no longer need solar and get new solar next fall)

After removing cutting the bad elbow out I deiscover it's not 2" pipe. It's something else. It's black 'pvc-1' pipe but it's just slightly bigger than 2".

So my question is: does anyone know what size it might be and where I can source the parts to patch in a new elbow?

Thanks!

not sure in USA but in AUS we have low pressure and high pressure pvc pipes
2" high pressure is different diameter to 2" low pressure
also yours may be a proprietry part from the solar company

As far as I can tell in usa Schedule 40 is the lower grade and Shedule 80 better, then CPVC for pvc replacing copper pipes.

The standard sizes are in inches sometime 1/2 increments. I wonder if the solar company that did the install used propriety pieces to stop home owners repairing. :(

Scheduled 40 will glue up to schedular 80 both hear and the US. It's just the wall thickness that differs. The external diameter of each pipe will still match the internal diameter of both fittings. If you happen to have different sizes, for what ever reason, and as long as both are u-pvc then you can use a heat gun to soften one so it can be stretched to match the other, then just glue up as normal.

Scheduled 40 will glue up to schedular 80 both hear and the US. It's just the wall thickness that differs. The external diameter of each pipe will still match the internal diameter of both fittings. If you happen to have different sizes, for what ever reason, and as long as both are u-pvc then you can use a heat gun to soften one so it can be stretched to match the other, then just glue up as normal.

This is a very cool idea. Nice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.