It's not easy being green...

You go! Sounds perfect! Manual vacs are a pain, but they are useful at times.

It was Sweet Briar College that almost closed, not BC.

Next time you are down that way (maybe for a trip to Devil's Backbone Brewery!!!), go look at Sweet Briar's campus. It is unbelievable!

If regular Slam levels (40% of CYA) are going too slow, you could go to 60% and possibly 80% if necessary.

You have an advanced case of mustard algae which can be more difficult to eradicate than regular green algae.

Note that 40% was chosen for Slamming because it is generally considered to be safe. Going above 40 % might increase the risk of liner fade especially if the dyes are susceptible to chlorine.

Pool Saturday.jpgPool Saturday.jpgPool Monday.jpgPool Tuesday.jpg
Saturday / Sunday / Monday / Tuesday pictures. The pool color has changed from green to blue as I have kept the FC 25 CC 0. Still some alge sitting on the steps this AM. Water very cloudy and I cannot see the bottom. Scrubbing 1-2x day. Pump running 24 hours/day. It's getting cold here in VA (38 Deg last night).

How long do I keep FC levels up?

• CC is 0.5 or lower - CC has been mostly 0 the entire process. What causes CC to increase?
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less) - I'll check again tonight.
  • And the water is clear - Very cloudy now but do I need to get clear before I close pool for winter?

Do I need to worry about high FC levels when I close up the pool?
Thank you. Brian.

When we talk about he water being "clear" that also includes not seeing any visible algae. I would say don't bother with the OCLT at this point as the water is nowhere near clear.

It just takes time and chlorine. Keep doing what you are doing, you are moving in the right direction.

I have been in SLAM mode from 12 days and have definitely seen improvement (see above green pics to blue pics) after 26 bottles of 8.25% bleach.
I have been maintaining FC at 25 for 11 days.

Question: By looking at pictures below, when am I done?

There are still a small amount of "stuff" settling on the steps. I can finally see the bottom of the pool and there are occasional "stuff" that get disturbed when I brush it. Is this still Algae or something else? Mornings in VA are 33-35 Degrees now and I'm worried about things freezing. Pump has been running continuously for 14 days. I'm also worried about damaging or reducing the life of the liner.

Question: How high should I maintain the FC level?

Thank you for everyone's help. Brian.

IMG_6817.jpgIMG_6818.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks tim5055. I've learned a lot in my 1st year of pool ownership.

I did the OCLT last night and FC stayed the same at 18.5 between 8pm and 7am. Sounds like I am done. Yea!!!

Can I cover up pool with FC 18.5 and not cause damage to the vinyl liner or do I need to allow the FC to come down to below 10?

Thank you.

Unless one of our vinyl experts corrects me, I don't see a problem closing it up now. The key will be opening it in the spring before the water starts to warm much. If you close cold and open cold the algae has very little chance of getting a head start on growing. Cold water slows the reproduction of the algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.