Grill Island with a rustic touch

presse55

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2016
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hello

I've already started the build for this project - an outdoor grill island. The idea is originally from DIYPETE, who has great how-to videos on building your own patio furniture and on making concrete counter tops.

The counter will be 9 feet long, 26 inches deep, and have a concrete counter top which I hope to polish and finish with an acid stain.

I may have rushed into this a bit too quickly, a lot of the structure contains treated lumber, but I have left plenty of room for ventilation in the interest of fire safety.

All comments are welcome, and since it's getting rather cold up here in Montreal right now, I probably will only be able to finish the project off next spring.

Here are sketches ....

The general look

01 - The general look 0 front.jpg

01 - The general look 1 back.jpg

Notice I'm leaving the backside of the compartment where the propane bottle will sit completely open.

02 - Build - Frame.jpg
The legs are 2x6, shelves 2x4, and the top has a 4x4 running the length of the counter for better support of the counter top.

03 - Build - Sherlves and propane bottle location.jpg
Shelving is spruce, as are the access doors.

04 - Durock enclosing hot grill area and anchors for gill.jpg
The grill area is enclosed with 1/2 inch durock.

More pix in a post to follow.

Ron,
Montreal

Last edited:
Here the access doors ....

05 - Acces doors.jpg

Then the concrete counter top ...

06 - Concrete counter top, hopefully wet polished to 500 grit or so.jpg

And finally the finished project ...

07 The end product.jpg

There's an 8" clearance on sides and the back between the grill and the durock board.

Here's what it looks like today, end of October 2016 ... The sheets of plywood sitting on top now are there temporarily. They do give an idea of the final size of the counter.
as things stand now.jpg

Once again, I appreciate any comments, suggestions or ideas.

Ron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.