Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much time do you put into your TFP daily...

1. Back To Top    #1

How much time do you put into your TFP daily...

I ran into someone at the pool store that was complaining that they wanted an easy method of pool care. After listening to her spout to the salesman about this he was telling her about this and that and these pucks and this liquid...after he left her alone to ponder...I approached and told her to put down the N2...and explained why...especially the $90 dollar cartridge that needs to be replaced each spring...I said your just throwin your money away. Anyway she asked me what I sugested...I said it is simple...I use bleach, or liquid chlorine...don't you have to always add bleach everyday she asked...I said sure. Isn't that expensive, and time consuming she asked. I said I will be honest with you. Other than the weekend I opened my pool which I spent a lot of time cleaning and balancing water. I spend maybe 10 minutes a day caring for my pool other than when I vacuume the bottom...then maybe an hour...She said doesn't your water turn green, or get all slimey...I said no...As long as I sanitize and keep my FC up around 5-7 ppm it is good to go at any time. She thought i was nuts about the 5-7 ppm. Doesn't that hurt your kids eyes...I asked my son...your eyes ever get irritated? He smiled and said no. I told the lady that your eyes only hurt when you have too much combined chlorine or chlorine that has done the job but is now combined with dead stuff. If you keep the chlorine level up it doesn't stink or burn or damage clothes. She was dumbfounded...Then she went on to pay over $100 for the **** pool guy told her to buy. So that got me to thinking...with testing and adding chems...how much time does everyone else spend on their pools???
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much time do you put into your TFP daily...

5 minutes would be a lot of time for me except when I vacuum about once a week. Maybe a minute or two to test the water and another minute to skim the bugs that haven't made their way to the skimmer or rescue a frog from the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool is pretty stable, I test the chlorine and pH two times during the week. On the weekend I brush the pool surfaces, vacuum and clean the skimmer. Also on the weekends I test chlorine, pH and TA. Once a month I clean the filter cartridge, pump basket and run pool water back through the air piping on my therapy jets. I would say on average I spend lees then 5 minutes per day.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

That is about what I expected to hear...I just don't know if anyone has ever really taken a poll as to how much time we all actually spend on our pools daily...Cuz man I see an aweful lot of people spending time and money when it doesn't have to be this way.
    Beave

5. Back To Top    #5

10 min a day... MAX. That is for testing and adding BBB.
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App) http://www.simplepool.net

6. Back To Top    #6

I test around twice a week and add bleach to the LQ about every three days. Vacuum on the weekends.

The automatic cover and BBB helps me spend hardly any time ON the pool and much more time sitting AROUND/IN the pool.
    20x40 35k IG vinyl liner pool with automatic safety cover
    Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 HP pump - Pentair TA60D sand filter - Pentair MiniMax NT 300 - Liquidator

7. Back To Top    #7

I have an AutoPilot Total Control system, so I spend about 1 minute checking how the water looks and cleaning the skimmer once a day, then about 20 minutes putting the cleaning robot in and taking it out again about once a week.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I have been on the BBB for a couple weeks now. I spend somewhere between 5-10 minutes each day paying attention to the pool. Any more time than that is because I am eating an apple or playing with the dogs. But 5-10 minutes is it. I vacum, backwash and brush the walls once a week (I actually vacumed while I was in the pool this weekend, so that counts as swimming not working ). It has not taken very long to get acustomed to chlorinating using BBB. I use the pool calculator on my blackberry, so I get my numbers right there while I am standing by the pool. No back and forths, inside outside. If I miss testing in the evenings, I just work it into my morning routine.....while I am drinking my first cup o coffee. Most importantly, it has helped me make the adjustment into spending a brief amount of time with my pool EACH day. Something I did not do in the past & my family appriciates it for sure.

sS
    16,000 Gallon Inground Pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve
    I have been on the BBB for a couple weeks now. I spend somewhere between 5-10 minutes each day paying attention to the pool. Any more time than that is because I am eating an apple or playing with the dogs. But 5-10 minutes is it. I vacum, backwash and brush the walls once a week (I actually vacumed while I was in the pool this weekend, so that counts as swimming not working ). It has not taken very long to get acustomed to chlorinating using BBB. I use the pool calculator on my blackberry, so I get my numbers right there while I am standing by the pool. No back and forths, inside outside. If I miss testing in the evenings, I just work it into my morning routine.....while I am drinking my first cup o coffee. Most importantly, it has helped me make the adjustment into spending a brief amount of time with my pool EACH day. Something I did not do in the past & my family appriciates it for sure.

sS
    don't have a blackberry...But i do have a piece of paper in my test kit, that has the calculations for 6% 10% and 12.5% bleach and how much 32 ounces raises FC and 64 ounces and so on. It took a little more time to write down...but my paperberry pool calc works well!!!I just have to keep it dry...and well so do you don't ya but is sure helps having the calculations right there.

Beave
    Beave

10. Back To Top    #10

When I was adding bleach I spent 5 to 10 minutes a day on the pool,except for cleaning once a week. Now that I have the SWG I test a couple times a week,check the skimmer and the water every day.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks to BBB I test the water and add chlorine three times a week, and let the robot vacuum on the weekends.
    Bob
    18,500 gal IG Vinyl pool, 300lb sand filter/1.5 hp pump, 925V Hayward Navigator Pool Cleaner,
    192 sq ft solar heat, TF-100 test kit, BBB for pool chemistry and love it.
    Our pool build slideshow http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... =slideshow

12. Back To Top    #12

Personally, I spend about 1 to 5 minutes per day. I use test strips during the week and my full test kit on the weekend. I brush and vacuum on the weekend. Takes about 1 hour on the weekends. Works for me.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

13. Back To Top    #13

5 min test wed,
    45 min test and vac sun, [after the kids mow the beer] i mean lawn
    brush once a month.

Happy swims
    Frank

PS i forgot swimming time, everyday of the year
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

14. Back To Top    #14

It takes more time for me to go into Wally World and buy bleach one day, then it does for me to maintain my pool for the week.

I'd say testing and adding only takes 5 minutes at most. And I only do it every two days. I'm sure this will go up when the use picks up.

But I've noticed my pool usually requires one jug per two days if we don't have any rain, and the pool doesn't get used. So sometimes I skip the test completely if these conditions are met.

Also it's nice not having any trees around. So vacuuming only has to be done once every two weeks. But that's assuming good weather, and low usage.
    32'x16' vinyl in-ground. 8' Deep, 3' Shallow
    Est. 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 300lb Sand filter w/SP-0714T valve assembly.
    Hayward 1 1/2HP Super Pump swapped with a A.O. Smith Dual Speed Motor.
    1 Skim, 1 Drain, 2 Outlets

15. Back To Top    #15

SWG here too, so maybe 5 minutes max checking the skimmer and swapping out the skimmer sock. I test FC, CC and pH every other day or every third day or so. I spend much more time trying to keep the flora and fauna watered around the place.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

16. Back To Top    #16

7 minutes, every other day. (I wanted to be different. )

Beave, we KILLED THE CRAPPIE TODAY! Finally stopped raining.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    7 minutes, every other day. (I wanted to be different. )

Beave, we KILLED THE CRAPPIE TODAY! Finally stopped raining.
    Crappie killer!! I'm calling PETA!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

18. Back To Top    #18

If I invite you to the July Fish Fry do you promise not to turn me in?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

19. Back To Top    #19

OK i'll bite what's a crappie
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

20. Back To Top    #20

Panfish, smallish, like perch or bluegill, fun to catch. (I'm up in the Northwoods of Wisconsin on a fishing vacation...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast