Murphy Texas IG Pool

joshuadfeldman

Silver Supporter
Sep 17, 2016
Murphy
Feldman.jpg
We started to entertain a pool in 2009 but chose to wait. Gee the cost only went up 40% sans hot tub. In that time we bought a J-335 Jacuzzi and intend to integrate it with a cement pad, mask it with landscaping and use the pool beam as a step. After talking to friends and evaluating our use of the tub it was best to go pool only. In the middle of the summer I studied up so, when PBs came to my house we would have a productive conversation. I met with Hauk, Hobert, Foley, Riverbend, LakePointe, LeisureScape and Premier. Two of these builders never called back after spending at least an hour at the house, taking measurements and discussing budgets...red flag. Two other builders didn't have good online feedback or didn't provide completed pools for a reference as trust gesture. Hauk, Foley and Riverbend are top tier builders in North Texas. We chose RiverBend but would have been confident using the other two top PBs. Hauk might be the 500 lbs Gorilla in a few years for N Texas (IMO).

We chose pavers instead of cement, upgraded to pebble plaster and will add a heat pump. The ground in our hood is very hard and chalky. No foundation issues have been reported to my knowledge in the 14 years of this HOA. I felt confident in the long term prospects of owning this pool while intending to be buried in the backyard in 2060. The land is great for home ownership but landscaping is a $itch. In our contract I placed a cap on the rock time as to hedge my bets. Everything is negotiable even the warranty.

Let's build a pool......crazy look from wife. Kid will treat me like a hero for at least three month after the first swim. I'll take what I can get. Researched from every angle, elec, gas, water, time management and long term maintenance. The utility providers have these great online tools to manage your home in real time.

The fence on top of the retaining wall will be replaced soon as we share fences in our city. It's 12 years old and it was never stained. My neighbor is slow walking the process, he thinks I might just go ahead and pay for the whole 60 feet. It's a common game people play in this city but I have confidence he is a good man and will come through in a timely manner.

The PB contacted me today and let me know that the permit phase has begun. The hot tub in the rendering will not be in that location....moved behind the sheer wall beam.

Still researching AqualCal vs Jandy Heat/Chiller Pump. The Jandy product allows computer controller integration where as the Aqua Cal is a manual process. My instinct tells me that once you program this it's like an indoor HVAC Thermostat, it's only touched during extreme weather changes. I spoke to Jamie Pittman, nice guy, industry veteran, AquaCal regional rep and a great resource. Will probably call Assam from AquaCal soon. I know this will only extend my pool season. April to Oct is the goal. Also called the local HVAC service centers as to reliabilty, durability and first hand experience of working with AquaCal. Opinions are welcome as to the Heater/Chiller. Intend to get a solar cover for April/May and Sept/Oct.

Utilities are marked. City will be working on the permits soon. ETA 2 weeks.

Signed off on the AquaCal 120 heat/Chiller. The support from the national rep and local vendor seem legit.

Pool builder yard review next Tuesday with sales and construction, at my house.

Congrats on the pool and the build. I wish I had known of Hauk 18 months ago when I started the process - would have at least given me another good competing bid. What I learned (I chose Foley over Riverbend - the only two bids I got) was that it seems almost all of these PB's use the same contractors. If you didn't know, you'll soon find out that I don't think any of the companies have their own employees outside of the very few in the office. All of the people doing the work were contract companies to the PB and it seems most of the contractors work for all of the different PB's.

Congrats on the pool and the build. I wish I had known of Hauk 18 months ago when I started the process - would have at least given me another good competing bid. What I learned (I chose Foley over Riverbend - the only two bids I got) was that it seems almost all of these PB's use the same contractors. If you didn't know, you'll soon find out that I don't think any of the companies have their own employees outside of the very few in the office. All of the people doing the work were contract companies to the PB and it seems most of the contractors work for all of the different PB's.

GDN....The bid might have been higher based on my quotes but don't fret.... I saw your build...you did just fine.

Welcome to the pool club. Looks great. I was the one that kept rejecting the idea from my wife until this past spring. Love it. Kids are grown, but the grandkids love it and would probably still be swimming if I let them (but water was 62 when I measured last week).

One suggestion - I would make sure that the electrician will be installing a good quality surge protector on your pools electrical sub panel to protect your gear. I installed the Square-D HEPD80 to mine.Very small price compared to the equipment its protecting.

welcome to the murphy pool club! I to just finished my build with riverbend they were very good from start with buddy the sales man. and my pm James was very good as well build went great. they had good flexibility through out the process . when I wanted to make changes it was not a problem. I could go on for days about the build with riverbend. if you have any questions fell free to ask me as I just got done building with them.

two things I can tell you off the top ... go with a DE filter in murphy the city is gonna require river bend to run the drain line either way to your clean out in front. riverbend wont tell you this until you meet your pm and he talks about it. I actually went back to my sales man and got the DE filter separate after I learned this from my pm on the start of construction walk. lets just say we worked out a deal! also I would suggest you forget about the nature 2 it seems like a gimmick to me put that money towards your DE filter I have all jandy equipment and I am loving it all so far. if you take proper care of your pool you don't need nature 2

NO worries Jimmy. Thank you for validating RB as a reliable PB.

HOA approval came though today.

Neighbor is still working on quotes for the fence. I'll take it considering the shared-fence stories in our city.

Riverbend plan Final.jpg

Having a hard time sizing my images ....any suggestions ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea got one of those story's my self. I ended up paying for my whole fence... kinda figured I was gonna have a hard time getting my neighbors to pitch in. Being that they rent the house behind me.
Good luck!

That is a LONG time for the permits to get done :shock: WOW! I am hoping your yard can handle the equipment for the dig after the rains.

Kim:kim:

They were completed two weeks ago but I had to take a vacation with the family.... Two inches below the grass is the toughest rock, shale, chaukly white earth. Glad I put a ceiling on my rock time charges.

josh, congrats on getting started! good luck with all of it . just curious did you end up hitting a lot of rock? not sure where you are in murphy I know they were concerned with it in my yard but didn't end up hitting anything at all... surprisingly .

Excavation 039.jpg

josh, congrats on getting started! good luck with all of it . just curious did you end up hitting a lot of rock? not sure where you are in murphy I know they were concerned with it in my yard but didn't end up hitting anything at all... surprisingly .

NO rock time... the dig was went off without a hitch. RB used their equipment and it seemed these guys have been with the company for many years. The soil was soft clay rocky and white...Don't know what they call it but it's great for pools and home foundations.

Pool Plumbing 072.jpg

Plumbing rough in today....Crew and Director of construction showed up today and reviewed a few points of concern. They were able to adjust on the fly and give me guidance on the goal. The crew was really efficient. They tore up the yard to install the p-trap in my front yard, going under my driveway. They took their time to avoid existing sprinkler, phone and fiber line. Really impressed. Spoke to the crew as the day came to a close. Most of the folks have been working with River Bend for 15 years and one guy was a 30 year vet, started when he was 16. Most were born in Mexico and they were telling me about their kids and grand kids. The next generation of proud Americans...I love it.

Pool Plumbing 040.jpg

Notice the technique of running the schedule 40 2.5 inch PVC, Under the pool. They heated the pipe and then placed it to form fit the run.....very interesting to watch these pros go at it. Another crew will be coming back to finish the plumbing and lay 6 inches of gravel to support the pipe under the gunite. During my research I was skeptical because other established players ran around the pool, under the deck for ease of access. In the contract I added that ground movement could not be used as a reason for a non warranted leak. They were confident in their process and gave me 10 years protection.

No stress so far...calm before the storm?

That is neat the crew has worked with the same company so long. That says something for the company.

I love to watch a experienced crew do their job. It is like magic if they have been working together for a while. Each person knows their job and does it knowing the others will follow in their foot steps.

Good news there were able to adjust the areas of concern.

I hope it keeps going like this!

Kim:kim:

I received an email from the PB scheduler at 4:41pm that a crew was coming over to perform the flow-able fill aka base gravel. We laughed and said no one is showing up this late in the day. Just after 5:45 they were done. The tradesman said we would see him again when they did the gunite. Same crew, same PB trucks with the same PB equipment. More in-house examples.

This base layer may not be applicable in all climates or it may have more to do with the way the plumbing is run (under vs around). It gives the pipes a little cushion under the steel/gunite cement. It came out looking like extremely dry gunite but settled like gravel. There was no prep or finish of the surface.

Seems pretty straight forward. Steele team has been contacted and they should arrive in the next 12-48 hours.

Gravel and steel 010.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.