Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising Alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising Alkalinity

Given that I am continuing to use up my Simplicity and Nature 2 for this season, and that I have now run out of Alkalinity increaser, is it okay for me to begin using Baking Soda along with everything else? I have to raise Alkalinity, I believe from 80 to 100 and am wondering if I need to continue with the pool store stuff because of everything else used, or if one can start theBBB bit by bit (BBB) no pun intended?
    Thanks!
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

2. Back To Top    #2
    Baking soda and alkalinity increaser are exactly the same thing chemically. The only differences are that baking soda has a higher purity, is ground finer (both of which are good for pools), and costs less. You can interchange them without problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Alkalinity increaser and Baking Soda are exactly the same thing, and you don't need either. 80ppm should be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks folks> if I should need some in future, do you just sprinkle it into pool at return just like with the pool store stuff?
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbug
    Thanks folks> if I should need some in future, do you just sprinkle it into pool at return just like with the pool store stuff?
    Baking soda IS the same as the 'pool store stuff'! You can pour it in the skimmer, predissolve it and broadcast it into the water, or just sprinkle it in the pool and brush until it dissolves. If you calcium is high you want to add it in small amounts at a time so you don't cloud the water and precipitate calcium carbonate.