Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing question

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing question

Hello all,

I'm a first time owner trying to figure out the ins and outs of pools. Thanks to TFP, I have the basics of water chemistry sorted out, but I have a nagging question about the pool that I don't think can be explained online. I really feel like I need to understand the plumbing system. What each valve does, where the pipes come from and go to, etc.

Can anyone recommend what type of person I could have come out that would be able to explain my system to me? A pool service? I'm hesitant to call just anyone, because the pool is old and I don't want someone to come out and start selling me a bill of goods...anyone in the Dallas, TX area( I'm actually in Richardson ) that might be able to recommend somebody?

Oh, and while I'm asking, can someone in the area recommend a good pool store? Would like to stay away from the chains if possible...

Thanks in advance!
    Dave
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing question

You'd be supprised at what these folks can figure out. But pics would be a great help.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by orthofish
    You'd be supprised at what these folks can figure out. But pics would be a great help.
    Hmmm...you may be right! I'll work on getting some pics posted.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Seriously, I would trust the people on here more than any pool place.

We have no agenda and nothing to sell you.

Also, skip the pool store for supplies use the BBB (Bleach, Baking Soda and Borax) method described on this website. You can get all those at walmart.

5. Back To Top    #5

As Lynn said, we can help you if you provide us with pics of the system and are willing to work with us

The guys here REALLY know their stuff
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    As Lynn said, we can help you if you provide us with pics of the system and are willing to work with us

The guys here REALLY know their stuff
    Oh, I have no doubt about that, I've already tapped into the incredible knowledge base. TFP ROCKS!!!

Originally, I just thought it might be more straightforward to have someone there in person so that I could actually point at things, turn knobs, push buttons...DANGER!!! DANGER!!! BEWARE THE BLINKING RED LIGHT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sorry, I got carried away. But you guys are probably right, pics might be all I need to get help here! I do have a specific question about the plumbing though...I need to know if the main drain is working, or if it has been plugged. Then again, pics may suffice for that as well. I'm working on it!

Also, skip the pool store for supplies use the BBB (Bleach, Baking Soda and Borax) method described on this website. You can get all those at walmart.
    But what do you do when you need a part? I have a rubber hose that is leaking right now that I presumably need to replace.

Thanks y'all, you're the best!
    Dave

7. Back To Top    #7

you can order it online. look up the part number in your manual. you can check the yellow pages for pool stores if you don't want to go to a chain...though a chain is probably your best bet.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Beez,

I did what you are looking to do. I bought our house last summer with no prior pool experience, so I had a pool guy come to close it. I took time off from work to "assist" him and pick his brain about what he could tell me about my pool. It was well worth it. Having a few hours face-to-face with a real person cleared up a lot of my questions fast. Plus he alerted me to some things I didn't know about.

I was lucky, though, to find the right pool guy. Note that I warned him up-front that I would be there looking over his shoulder and asking lots of questions. He's an independent and been in the business for decades. I find the old-timers are more willing to talk about what they know. I wouldn't expect such luck with a pool guy from a chain store or major operation whose day is booked solid with house calls. Sorry I can't help you locate one down where you are, but you have a legitimate idea in concept.
    30kgal in-ground, 20x40, vinyl, DE filter, 1HP pump, oil heater, Southern New Hampshire

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    you can order it online. look up the part number in your manual. you can check the yellow pages for pool stores if you don't want to go to a chain...though a chain is probably your best bet.
    Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? You could order all kinds of stuff, some you need and some you don't, and get yourself into all kinds of trouble all at the same time. Amazing how it all just shows up at the door thanks to UPS or Fedex.

Then again, you find sites like this and safe yourself lots of time and trouble.

10. Back To Top    #10

[quote="Beez"]
    Originally, I just thought it might be more straightforward to have someone there in person so that I could actually point at things, turn knobs, push buttons...[quote]

Naaaay
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

11. Back To Top    #11

But what do you do when you need a part?

Take a pic of it if you can ,and post it. Someone here will recognize it.
    Lynn

12. Back To Top    #12

It is actually just a length of general purpose rubber hose that connects the Polaris booster pump to my system. I have all the specs, but haven't found it online. It's about a 2-3 foot hose with female connectors on both ends. Dayco Series 7093 GST II 3/4 ID.

13. Back To Top    #13

looks like if you go here it's #30 in the diagram. on step 2 (the drop down box to select parts) you need 30b which says it's black, 2 feet, double female. it's probably at other places too but that was my first google result for polaris booster pump parts.
    http://www.epoolshop.com/polaris_booste ... parts.aspx
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.