Shotcrete problems

Sep 16, 2016
Brunswick, GA
This is my first post on any blog. I will do my best to get to the point. Our in ground shotcrete pool has some major issues. The builder ordered 30 yrds. of shotcrete to be delivered in 3 trucks, 10 yrds. each. The first truck arrived late in the morning causing the next 2 trucks to also be late. Everything was going OK until the middle of the 3rd truck. It was around 2:30 in the afternoon and the temp. reached 98 deg. The shotcrete was setting up very fast and they could no longer pump it. With 5 yrds still in the truck and equipment full of shotcrete, "PANIC MODE" set in. He was able to clear the equipment but made a costly mistake of dumping around 1 yard into the spa area hoping to work it by hand. This quickly set up and had to be jack hammered out 2 days later.

So now after clearing out excess from earlier they attempted to finish the job. New truck showed up early and everything started off good until his pumping machine seized. To keep mixture flowing a copious amount of water was added to the cement truck while builder fixed his pump. This process repeated itself at least 3 times with the final result being very wet shotcrete being applied to the old stuff, much of it by hand. So now after 28 day cure there appears to be major issues.

1. Flaking and loose concrete in areas around the top / edge of spa
2. Hollow areas when "sounding"
3. Obvious lack of overall strength due to too much water - poor shotcrete application
4. Bleeding of rust from steel rebar since pool has 3 feet of water.

So what should I do? The builder is saying everything that is wrong is either not that bad or it can be fixed. He is willing to give and extend warranty. But I just think we are putting it off until another time when it will really cause problems or am I overreacting? The attached photos are after the 3rd truck on the first day. I have video of the wet mix when they returned.

Can anyone advise me?

Attachments

• STUFF IS SET UP TOO FAST.jpg
    STUFF IS SET UP TOO FAST.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 69
  • HOW THEY LEFT IT (10).jpg
    HOW THEY LEFT IT (10).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 69
Whats the point of shotcrete if they arent going to shoot it on.... i had a couple small collapses during shotcrete application and i had them shovel it in the voids where there baja step was. Then they shot 6 more inches of shotrete on top of it to finish it off. Although they started early with no feeding issues, so they were done by noon.

Im at a loss until someone that is a concrete expert can respond.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.