New VA owner-builder IG plaster pool in a NON plaster region:)

Thank you TwinMama, Newbie, and Salty!
We live in a fairly small town and most people have vinyl (what I grew up with) or a few are just starting to get fiberglass. This was pretty out of the box for around here so we had to start from scratch with builders and crews from out of town. It has been a definite learning experience and we have done as much of it ourselves as possible. My husband run a large trucking company so we were able to have access to lots of equipment. We took a very large deck off the back of our house, graded all the land, personally picked the bolders off of the side of a mountain from some land a friend has, got all of the trees for landscaping from FL and NC. It has been an adventure for sure! So now we are at the start up phase for plaster and no one around here has ever done it. The pool builders are long gone, the plaster guys said maybe we should hire someone to do it but I told my husband with the help of this forum I feel like I could do a better job that anyone in town that has never done it....but I am nervous.

So, the plasterer called the morning he was scheduled to come to tell us they were running behind and it would be at least another week. UGHHHHHH Now we are waiting until after Memorial Day. So much for having it ready when school was out.

So, we were surprised last night with a phone call that said they would be here first thing this morning. We were expecting them next Tuesday! They also said they would do the acid wash this evening and start to fill then. :shock: I have gotten no chemicals and tomorrow is Sunday. Any advice on what I should run to get? The guy told my husband if we want to swim in it not to put in acid. I am not worried about swimming in it and just want to get our chemicals straight. Help!!

So, we were surprised last night with a phone call that said they would be here first thing this morning. We were expecting them next Tuesday! They also said they would do the acid wash this evening and start to fill then. :shock: I have gotten no chemicals and tomorrow is Sunday. Any advice on what I should run to get? The guy told my husband if we want to swim in it not to put in acid. I am not worried about swimming in it and just want to get our chemicals straight. Help!!

I don't have any advice on the chemicals, still learning myself but we swam in ours as it was filling.

Beautiful pool and backyard, love it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How exciting!

I am sorry no one answered you faster. Here is your shopping list:

-CYA- stabilizer

-Chlorine/bleach-if you get bleach make sure it is only 3 months old or news using the date codes and the bleach is PLAIN bleach, no pretty smells or splashless.

Have you test the fill water? If not do so now so I can know about the PH and TA.

Use Pool Math (see my siggy below) to see how much CYA you need for your pool size. When you go to add it put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return.

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim! The pool is filling as we speak:) I started a new thread thinking that may help with any responses and posted my fill water results there. They were Ph 7.4, CH 60, and TA 60. Thank you!

Big Will-the plaster is a mini pebble color that the company we used custom mixed. I will take a picture of the sample they sent us today and post it for you to see.

ShantellyLace-my husband and I were just reading some of your build story last night and got to the part about your LS issues! I didn't have time to finish before I went to bed but I hope the 1.5's worked out ok!! They really are such a gorgeous tile but gosh-they know they have the market right now and take their sweet time. Ours were late also and we asked for expedited shipping only to be told we would have to conver the $500 to do so ��. I'm going to catch up on your build today!

Linz, spoiler alert - it worked and we actually like the 1.5s better than the 2s! Lol Never a dull moment with our thread. Drama ensues with a mixed up stone order and pink pavers... Dun dun dun! But in the end, it all works out and I stop being emotional lol (18+ months dealing with back pain and recent wisdom tooth surgery with a dry socket has my pretty little head a mess). But it does provide good reading material. Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.