Last water test:
    Salt: 3600
    TA: 130
    PH: 8
    CyA: 30
    CH:330
    TC:2.8
    FC:2.8

I am getting large white flakes on bottom of pool. I tasted one and do not think it is 'salt'. Seems smooth to the touch. I know the PH/TA is high in last test but I sually keep it pretty good. One other item is on the bottom there has been some rough bumps that has developed - looks like a wad of something got stuck to the floor - Local pool company has no clue - they recommended that I vacumn to waste get ph/ta in balance and see if happens again. I saw same thing last year and thought it was because I was putting in too much acid. These appear day after I vacummed whole pool. Is this chemicals reforming and solidifying or is it the plaster dissolving and resolidfying? any help would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flakes at bottom of pool

It could be calcium flakes coming off the plates of the SWG. If you get your PH and TA down it will probably stop.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wouldn't my calcium levels be high then? Also the SWG is brand new cell this year. If I open it up would I see the calcium caked on the cells?

4. Back To Top    #4

You may or may not see calcium on the SWG cell. Since it is early in the season, most of the CH might still be coming off as flakes and not had time to really accumulate in the cell.

CH scaling is very sensitive to the PH. Your PH is too high. You need to get the PH down. Once you get the PH down, the white flakes will probably stop.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm having the exact same problem, but the calcium buildup is actually visible on my SWG cell. I treat it every few months with diluted muriatic acid bath, but never get all of it off. My problem is that I think my water is balanced correctly (PH 7.6, TA 90, CYA 80), but I still have the flakes. You can actually see them coming out of the returns. I do have high CH (600+), but I've read on this site that this is still a manageable level. Were you able to solve your problem? If so, I'd love to hear how.
    14K gal, AG vinyl (24' round x 52"), 1 HP pump, sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by g6gang
    Pool: 14,000 gallons - Plaster (white) - 3 years old - North Carolina
    Salt Water generator (pentair IC 40)
    Filter - Cartridge (pentair)

Last water test:

TA: 130
    PH: 8
    CyA: 30
    CH:330

I am getting large white flakes on bottom of pool.d.
    Raise your CYA to 80, lower your TA to 70 and keep your pH below 7.8. Once you get the CYA and TA in line the pH control will be easier and you should see less of a problem with the flakes.water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by agenterf
    I'm having the exact same problem, but the calcium buildup is actually visible on my SWG cell. I treat it every few months with diluted muriatic acid bath, but never get all of it off. My roblem is that I think my water is balanced correctly (PH 7.6, TA 90, CYA 80), but I still have the flakes. You can actually see them coming out of the returns. I do have high CH (600+), but I've read on this site that this is still a manageable level. Were you able to solve your problem? If so, I'd love to hear how.
    In your case I would lower the TA even more (to about 60 ppm), consider adding borates to 50 ppm, and NEVER let the pH run above 7.6. If you can keep it at 7.4 it might even be better.