Converting to salt...part II

DOH!!!

Do you have one of our recommended testkits? Either a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net ??

If not, this isn't going to work. You need a reliable test kit. Sorry, I should have asked first.

6am; Tested with the basic kit and got a reading of 0 for FC.
Then used the K-2006, and had to add 3 extra scoops of 0870 (5 total) to get the sample to turn pink-ish. 1 drop of 0871 cleared it up, so with my 10mL sample that equates to .5ppm.

Please let me know how I should proceed.

Also, for what its worth the water is quite clear.

6am; Tested with the basic kit and got a reading of 0 for FC.
Then used the K-2006, and had to add 3 extra scoops of 0870 (5 total) to get the sample to turn pink-ish. 1 drop of 0871 cleared it up, so with my 10mL sample that equates to .5ppm.

Please let me know how I should proceed.

Also, for what its worth the water is quite clear.
That's not how the FAS-DPD test works. One heaping scoop of powder is all that's needed; as long as there are a couple bits of powder left in the bottom that is enough.

You should add enough chlorine to bring the FC to 10 via Pool Math. In 10 minutes you should check FC, and add enough to bring FC to 10. Repeat until FC holds above 5 ppm.

Pool School - FAS-DPD Chlorine Test

Using the small spoon shaped end of the dipper, add one heaping dipper, or two level dippers, of R-0870 and swirl to mix. If the sample turns pink for a moment and then turns clear again, or if it turns brown, add another dipper of R-0870. If the sample remains clear the entire time, your FC level is probably zero, however it is best to verify that with an OTO chlorine test, since the FAS-DPD test is prone to the occasional false zero.

What do the Taylor directions say?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is the inside lid instructions:
k2006_zps89qxbeij.jpg

Right, so if there is an initial pink, and then it disappears, add another scoop of powder. If it never turns pink, FC is 0. Confirm with OTO test.

edit: The 10 minute drill is to make sure you can hold FC before you start the SLAM. Since you measure CYA it doesn't sound like you have ammonia but the inability to get FC above 1.5 is ... concerning

OK.

I started the 10 minute drill, and added 2 gallons with hopes of raising FC to 10. I tested 10 minutes later, and got a reading of 7. I then put in another 75oz, again trying to reach an FC of 10. (The volume additions are all based on pool math).

I'll report back with results in ~10 min with the next results.

I just re-read everything again. You may not need to SLAM. If you can get the FC to hold, pass an OCLT and the water is crystal clear then a slightly elevated FC would probably be fine until you get your CYA up and SWG dialed in.

Not having to SLAM...sounds good to me :)

I'll check the FC once an hour, and post results here. Just to confirm, should I now keep the SWG off, or fire it back up to try to maintain FC during today's sunlight and then shut it off for the OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.