Is a new marble dust "required"

May 30, 2009
Hi All,

I am sure that this may have been discussed but I can't find a thread, so if there is one please point me in that direction. My gunite pool had a marble dusting probably about 11 years ago by a previous home owner. I bought my home about 2 years ago and do not have the money to spend on a new dusting or a liner ( I do not trust pool paint because of the horror stories). The plaster is very very rough on the feet, with a small hairline crack 1ft in length (no leaking) on the shallow end of the pool. In a few areas I can see the gunite coming through the plaster (small chips of a nickel size at most). My question is what is the worst that can happen if I do not redust in a reasonable amount of time? Could the concrete/gunite degrade or is the dusting mainly a tactile and visual thing? Obviously the pool would look better with a new plaster job, but I would rather save up a few years and get a pebble tec or something more interesting than just a plain plastering once I renovate the pool, patio, plumbing etc. :-D :blah: :blah: Thanks for any feedback!

Welcome to TFP!!

It's mostly aesthetic and tactile, though gunite will weep water a little without the plaster coat on it - I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in water loss due to the small spots of uncoated gunite vs. normal evaporation :wink: I'd wait til you can afford the resurfacing and just spend a few bucks on some swim shoes :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.