New Build in North Texas (Frisco)

Did you learn anything we have not told you or did he say anything WAY different than we say?

How is your water looking?

When you brush are you seeing much dust?

Heater-you do not want to start it until there is no more plaster dust. It could mess up the heater.

Kim:kim:

Did you learn anything we have not told you or did he say anything WAY different than we say?

Heater-you do not want to start it until there is no more plaster dust. It could mess up the heater.

No, everything he "taught" me I already knew from TFP! In-fact, I may have taught him a thing or two. Well, maybe not. :)

The water is getting clearer every day. I don't see any clouds of plaster any more. But I do see some brown clouds when I brush the bottom. My PB told me I can put my robot in starting Monday.

I do want to verify something he told me. I know that the SWG will not generate chlorine when the water temp is below 60, which it is. But if I plan to heat the pool every now and then, what is the best way to keep the chemistry dialed in? He told me to get a floating chlorine tablet dispenser. Should I just leave that in the water with tablets in it until the water temp gets above 60 on it's own?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, one more thing he told me that was a little different than what I've read. I thought I had to be care with the DE and not get any on me or especially inhale any. But he said it was okay to handle. He even stirred it up with his hands when he dropped the scoops of DE powder into the skimmer basket.

I've read that the best way is to mix a slurry in a bucket and then dump that into the skimmer.

Also, how do I know if there is enough DE in my filter?

During the cold weather (SWG not working) most people use liquid chlorine. The pucks will add extra CYA to your pool and that is not good over time.

Keep a log of your tests and results. After a while you see a pattern and can predict how much FC you lose each day. It will not be much when it is cold. In FL I only need to add chlorine every other or so day.

I do not know DE filters so I found a link that looks like it might be helpful. Feel free to start a new thread in the equipment part of the forum if you need more help.

Use and care for DE filters

LOL on you teaching him something! Was he surprised you already knew so much?

During the cold weather (SWG not working) most people use liquid chlorine. The pucks will add extra CYA to your pool and that is not good over time.

Keep a log of your tests and results. After a while you see a pattern and can predict how much FC you lose each day. It will not be much when it is cold. In FL I only need to add chlorine every other or so day.

I do not know DE filters so I found a link that looks like it might be helpful. Feel free to start a new thread in the equipment part of the forum if you need more help.

Use and care for DE filters

LOL on you teaching him something! Was he surprised you already knew so much?

Yea, when he first start teaching me he acted like I didn't know anything. Then once he figured out I have been TFP educated, we started having productive conversations. He endorsed the TFP methods.

Ok, I ran my first set of water tests today. My PB hasn't put salt in yet because it has only had water in it for a week. The water temp is below 60 so I'll have to add chlorine manually.

Here are my readings:

FC - 1.5
CC - 0
CYA - 400
pH - 8.2
TA - 60
CH - No color

CYA-400?????? I am hoping your mixed up CYA and CH as far as placement.

PH is a little high. We would rather see if no higher than 7.8 BUT your PB is in charge. See what he has to say. I will tell you that PH will be a struggle for a while as the plaster cures.

Well, I am about ready to put this build log to bed. There are just a couple of things left to do, but the final inspection has been scheduled and the PB has turned the keys over to me. Along the way I kept a timeline of the major steps in the process. I know every build is different and weather and many other factors affect the timeline, but this is my timeline.

7/26/2016 11:49 AM -Received property survey.
8/16/2016 11:59 AM -Signed contract with Foley Pools.
8/16/2016 2:06 PM -Sent completed "Request for Home Improvement Approval" form to HOA.
8/16/2016 4:10 PM -Sent an email asking my insurance company to go ahead with increasing the liability coverage on my Home Owner's insurance.
8/20/2016 10:00 AM -Met with PB at his office to pick out materials.
9/8/2016 3:26 PM -Electric re-route passed inspection. Next step is to pull the cable. Then the permits can be requested.
9/29/2016 7:00 AM -Digging started.
9/29/2016 2:00 PM -Digging completed.
9/30/2016 7:00 AM -Steel support install started.
9/30/2016 11:44 AM -Steel support install completed.
10/03/2016 1:17 PM -Pre-Shotcrete inspection completed and passed.
10/04/2016 7:00 AM -Shotcrete installers begin work.
10/04/2016 11:45 AM- Shotcrete work completed.
10/05/2016 7:00 AM -Ditches dug for plumbing rough-in.
10/06/2016 7:00 AM -Plumbing rough-in.
10/07/2016 7:00 AM -Rain.
10/11/2016 2:00 PM -Electric rough-in started and completed.
10/13/2016 8:00 AM -Tile installation started.
10/13/2016 3:10 PM -Tile installation completed.
10/17/2016 9:30 AM -Coping/stone installation started.
10/17/2016 4:56 PM -Coping/stone installation ended for the day.
10/18/2016 10:30 AM- Coping/stone installation resumed.
10/18/2016 6:30 PM -Coping/stone installation ended for the day.
10/19/2016 7:30 AM -Gas line install started.
10/19/2016 9:05 AM -Coping/stone installation resumed.
10/19/2016 9:39 AM -Gas line install completed.
10/19/2016 3:32 PM -Coping/stone installation ended for the day.
10/20/2016 7:00 AM -Rain.
10/20/2016 10:43 AM- Coping/stone installation resumed.
10/20/2016 2:03 PM -City inspector approved gas line.
10/20/2016 6:14 PM- Coping/stone installation ended for the day.
10/21/2016 10:30 AM- Workers came to back-fill gas trench.
10/21/2016 10:55 AM- Coping/stone installation resumed.
10/21/2016 4:55 PM -Coping/stone installation completed (except for cap of columns).
10/24/2016 10:00 AM- Coping/stone installation resumed.
10/24/2016 2:33 PM -Coping/stone installation completed.
10/27/2016 1:45 PM -Decking guys begin work.
10/27/2016 4:50 PM -Decking guys stop for the day.
10/28/2016 10:00 AM- Decking failed inspection. The bonding wire was not connected correctly.
10/31/2016 10:00 AM- The bonding wire was fixed.
11/1/2016 10:00 AM -Decking passed inspection.
11/2/2016 7:20 AM -Concrete guys arrive to pour decking.
11/2/2016 11:24 AM -Concrete guys finished.
11/3/2016 9:30 PM -Stone guys started work on flower beds.
11/3/2016 3:57 PM -Stone guys finished.
11/4/2016 10:00 AM -Stone guys back at work on steps.
11/4/2016 3:31 PM -Stone guys finished.
11/7/2016 10:00 AM -Rain.
11/8/2016 10:00 AM -Rain.
11/15/2016 7:30 AM -Cleanup crew started.
11/15/2016 10:00 AM- Cleanup crew finished.
11/16/2016 10:21 AM- Sprinkler guys arrive.
11/16/2016 9:10 PM -Received landscaping design.
11/21/2016 9:00 AM - Fence guys started.
11/21/2016 4:04 PM - Fence guys finished for the day.
11/22/2016 9:00 AM - Fence guys started.
11/22/2016 5:05 PM - Fence guys finished for the day.
11/23/2016 9:16 AM -Fence guys started.
11/23/2016 5:00 PM -Fence guys finished.
12/1/2016 10:30 AM -Plumber started.
12/1/2016 11:00 AM -Met with PB to pick out spray deck color.
12/1/2016 1:30 PM -Plumber finished.
12/5/2016 8:13 AM -Sprinkler guys started.
12/5/2016 8:36 AM -Sprinkler guys finished.
12/5/2016 11:04 AM -Electricians started.
12/5/2016 3:07 PM -Electricians finished.
12/10/2016 12:00 PM- Plaster guys started.
12/10/2016 4:15 PM -Plaster guys finished.
12/11/2016 11:00 AM- Plaster guys acid washed plaster.
12/11/2016 12:30 PM- Started filling pool.
12/12/2016 4:30 AM -Finished filling pool.
12/12/2016 11:00 AM- Guy came to start equipment.
12/15/2016 2:30 PM -Pool school
12/19/2016 9:00 AM -Landscapers started.
12/19/2016 3:12 PM -Landscapers finished.
12/20/2016 12:25 PM- SOD guys started.
12/20/2016 12:59 PM- SOD guys finished.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This seems to be a very truthful timeline! Neat to see it from the sign to dive (too bad it is too cold to dive in).

Please put your test kit in your siggy.

Are the dogs glad to have their yard back? Has any of them tried the pool out yet?

This seems to be a very truthful timeline! Neat to see it from the sign to dive (too bad it is too cold to dive in).

Please put your test kit in your siggy.

Are the dogs glad to have their yard back? Has any of them tried the pool out yet?

Ok, I've added my test kit to my sig. I'm starting to get the hang of testing. My PB has turned everything over to me, except they haven't started the SWG yet. It has been too cold. So I've been doing everything manually for the time being. Here are my latest numbers:

FC - 7.5
CYA - 80
pH - 8.2
TA - 150
CH - 425

According to Pool Math, I just need to add about 33 oz. of muriatic acid. And then replacing some of the water via normal methods (backwashing, rain, etc.) will bring some of the number numbers into desired range.

Am I even close?

You are VERY close! Now we will work on the PH and TA. Your PH will push up due to new plaster. It can be just for a few months to as long as a year. This will be where keeping a log of your test results will help you see a pattern as it happens.

Here is a link to how to lower the TA. Lowering the TA will help a little bit with your PH. Once the plaster is done messing with the PH we will work on finding your sweet spot with the TA. For right now target 80 for you TA. Until then do your best to not let you PH get above 7.8.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Everything else looks good. How are you adding FC?

Your CYA is right where you want it to be for a SWG pool. Most SWG doe not work with low water temps (60 or so and under).

When designing the pool, we decided to lower it down a bit from the patio. I like different levels. So we put a raised wall at the back of the pool, and stepped down coming off of the covered patio. Not, much, but enough where we needed a couple of steps. They added the raised flower beds yesterday, and today they added the steps. I am really happy with how they came out. I love the contrast in materials. It makes me want to stain or cap my bland patio now. :)

20161104_174824.jpg

Hello, and thank you so much for the comprehensive post and progress follow-ups!

I am wringing my hands over which PB to use and the purchase itself. However, I saw something in your post (as quoted ) that might be really useful for my situation.

I have an existing deck situation that I cannot figure out what the right solution is. I really like the elevation change via steps + using your coping material to coordinate the materials. I am wondering how that turned out for you aesthetically (the image posted is a bit obscured with plywood barriers)? If there is any chance of additional images of this, I would be hugely appreciative!

With the clock ticking down for me, I intend to go back to my sales guy and see how this could be achieved within my current design. If possible, this *could* save me significant money by keeping the existing deck as-is (aggregate) and use the stairs to transition to the new deck material (travertine). I’m open to feedback at how horrible an idea this is, but the decking budget is just killing my pool dreams! So yeah… apologies for the run-on, it is just that I've just been so stressed about this particular part and your deck/stairs jumped out at me as a possible savior.

Cheers!

Hello, and thank you so much for the comprehensive post and progress follow-ups!

I am wringing my hands over which PB to use and the purchase itself. However, I saw something in your post (as quoted ) that might be really useful for my situation.

I have an existing deck situation that I cannot figure out what the right solution is. I really like the elevation change via steps + using your coping material to coordinate the materials. I am wondering how that turned out for you aesthetically (the image posted is a bit obscured with plywood barriers)? If there is any chance of additional images of this, I would be hugely appreciative!

With the clock ticking down for me, I intend to go back to my sales guy and see how this could be achieved within my current design. If possible, this *could* save me significant money by keeping the existing deck as-is (aggregate) and use the stairs to transition to the new deck material (travertine). I’m open to feedback at how horrible an idea this is, but the decking budget is just killing my pool dreams! So yeah… apologies for the run-on, it is just that I've just been so stressed about this particular part and your deck/stairs jumped out at me as a possible savior.

Cheers!

Thank you. I am very, very happy with how the steps came out. Like you, the decking and patio was an area I chose to save money on. I figured the money would be better spent elsewhere. There are many aspects of the design that I am very proud of and feel like I had a key role in designing. But I have to admit the steps weren't one of them. I worked with several PB's and some had a step down from the patio and some had the deck level with the patio. I just so happens that the PB I chose had the step down. Someone did tell me that levels, or changes in elevation, are usually very pleasing. And the stone guy that built the steps did a fantastic job. I would have been happy with just ordinary steps, with the stones cut inn straight lines. But the stone guy cut everything at an angle and really made it look good.

The pool decking isn't quite complete. They are going to apply a paint like material called spray deck. So the pool decking will be colored a light beige, lighter than the coping, but darker than the regular concrete. I'll post pictures after they do it. And then once the coffers are filled back up a little, my plan is to eventually apply the same spray deck or some kind of stain to the concrete patio.

As for the railing, I had logistic reasons. There is a dog door in the door on the patio. So I didn't want my dogs to be able to get into the pool whenever they wanted, but I didn't want to have to open/close a gate every time I wanted to get to the pool area. So I came up with the patio railing with one section hanging on a track. So the entire section above the steps slides out of the way when we are enjoying the pool area, and the closes back up to keep the dogs out when we're not. The dogs can exit the side of the patio into the side yard. Here are some pics.

20161227_093628.png

20161227_093706.png

20161227_093633.png

Thank you. I am very, very happy with how the steps came out. Like you, the decking and patio was an area I chose to save money on. I figured the money would be better spent elsewhere. There are many aspects of the design that I am very proud of and feel like I had a key role in designing. But I have to admit the steps weren't one of them. I worked with several PB's and some had a step down from the patio and some had the deck level with the patio. I just so happens that the PB I chose had the step down. Someone did tell me that levels, or changes in elevation, are usually very pleasing. And the stone guy that built the steps did a fantastic job. I would have been happy with just ordinary steps, with the stones cut inn straight lines. But the stone guy cut everything at an angle and really made it look good.

The pool decking isn't quite complete. They are going to apply a paint like material called spray deck. So the pool decking will be colored a light beige, lighter than the coping, but darker than the regular concrete. I'll post pictures after they do it. And then once the coffers are filled back up a little, my plan is to eventually apply the same spray deck or some kind of stain to the concrete patio.

As for the railing, I had logistic reasons. There is a dog door in the door on the patio. So I didn't want my dogs to be able to get into the pool whenever they wanted, but I didn't want to have to open/close a gate every time I wanted to get to the pool area. So I came up with the patio railing with one section hanging on a track. So the entire section above the steps slides out of the way when we are enjoying the pool area, and the closes back up to keep the dogs out when we're not. The dogs can exit the side of the patio into the side yard. Here are some pics.

20161227_093628.png

20161227_093706.png

20161227_093633.png

Did you end up firing up the new heater and swimming this Christmas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm so far behind on all these threads but just wanted to say how gorgeous your pool is and love the sliding gate. Great idea!

Thank you. I am very happy with how it turned out. Plus I just like sliding it back and forth. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Did you end up firing up the new heater and swimming this Christmas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did. It took my heater about 11 hours to raise the pool temp from 55 to 85. I think I'll go to 90 next time.

- - - Updated - - -

LOVE the sliding gate! Wish there had been a way to incorporate something like it on our patio. Did you do the design? Can you share how it was done?Everything is Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came up with the idea and basic design, and my fence builder brought the rest of the way. The panel is a section of iron fence framed with cedar. The whole thing is hung from a section of black iron track. I found tons of websites that sell sliding door (or gate) hardware. There are tons of options. Here is one: https://www.realslidinghardware.com/barn-door-hardware/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.