New build - Plano Texas

Hey Sunny! Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear of your woes (I can relate) but at least they are being upstanding about it and providing great customer service even if it is at their expense. You deck looks gorgeous!!
You previous tile was very pretty but the one you picked as a replacement is also very pretty! I agree about a contrasting grout although I had previously not liked my own grey grout. It has since grown on me and I am glad to have it.

I, too, REALLY need to update my thread, but, like you, the stress and aggravation of it all is just too much.

Im looking forward to seeing your pool finished! It's going to be amazing!

Im looking forward to seeing your pool finished! It's going to be amazing!

Me too! Sometimes I wonder if it is ever going to get there! And I really want to have sod and a spa to get into!

i think I would like a light gray with the tile, but I'm not sure if I would like it up against the coping. I think I may see if they'll do a couple little sample areas for me to see before they do the whole thing.

It is really gorgeous tile. The more I look at it the more I like it. In direct light it is a brilliant blue, and in the shade it sparkles and shines with a rainbow of colors. We decided to go with bone grout. We thought that was what we were getting the first time, but apparently the first guys messed up and did white instead. No surprise there. The bone is basically the color of our limestone and the light to medium pieces of travertine. We had them do a sample of that and a grey. We liked them both with the tile, but the bone looked better with our other materials. I did check in on the guys several times throughout the day, and talked with them at length when they first arrived. Looks good so far and I have a good feeling that they know what they are doing and take pride in their work. These guys were actually measuring and using levels, which I never saw the other guys doing. They didn't tile the spillover yet, so tomorrow will be the true test. They did a lot of work measuring and shaping it today, so hopefully that will payoff tomorrow. They did do one skimmer and it looks good, so that is a good sign. I will sleep better tonight!

LOL, they might as well just change the name officially.
And thank you!

I have to ask... this thread started over 5 months ago and it appears your pool is not finished. Is that because of delays you have caused or the builder?

I only ask because we are shopping for pool builders in North Dallas area and Hauk was on my list... but I want my pool done in time for summer so 5 months is not gonna work.

Thanks!

I have to ask... this thread started over 5 months ago and it appears your pool is not finished. Is that because of delays you have caused or the builder?

We initially had to wait a long time for City of Plano permitting, about 5-6 weeks. I don't know why it took them so long, but from what I hear Plano is among the slowest in our area. The second issue is detailed in post #70 on page four of this thread. I'll let you decide who you would blame, and feel free to ask me any follow up questions. I will say that aside from the issues in that post, we have been very happy with the PB and all the other subcontractors they use, and we have been happy with the way they address issues. We have never had to fight with them about anything. If we say we don't like something, they fix it without question.

The guys didn't quite finish the tile today, but everything they did looks great. Yesterday they tiled the waterline of the pool. Today they grouted that, and they tiled the spillway and waterline of the spa. they said they'd be back Monday to grout those areas and to do the marker tiles. About 3 hours after they left though, we had heavy rain. It only lasted for about 20 minutes, but it was a pretty hard rain. It was a bit unexpected as the forecast only had a 15% chance of rain. Is that cause for concern, heavy rain only a couple hours after laying some areas and grouting others? I don't see visible issues, but it is dark. Even if there is no visible damage, could that adversely affect the tile adherence?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The morning light will show if there was any "damage" but my gut says it should be fine as the grout is on the side of the pool and the tiles on the spillway and skimmer should be fine and the grout will fix any problems.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim, that makes me feel better! The grout appears to be ok, so as long as the thinset on the spa set, I guess we are ok. Here are some pics. Spillway still has the plastic film, the grouted areas still have the grout haze, and it is overcast, so it isn't too sparkly right now. You may notice the coping pieces on either side of the spillway do not quite follow the curve of the spa. Those will be replaced on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_6812.jpg
    IMG_6812.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_6813.jpg
    IMG_6813.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_6816.jpg
    IMG_6816.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6814.jpg
    IMG_6814.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_6815.jpg
    IMG_6815.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 170
Yeah, we are really pleased. It is hard to see in the pictures, but the coping pieces on either end of the spillway have a flatter curve than the spa does. Where they begin they are centered over the wall of the spa so that they overhang the spa wall by an inch or two inside and outside the spa. Where they end at the spillway, they overhang the outside of the wall by a couple inches and there is no overhang at all on the inside. The tile inside actually sticks out further than the coping.

- - - Updated - - -

Easier to see in these pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_6817.jpg
    IMG_6817.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6818.jpg
    IMG_6818.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 167
We had some issues with our pre-plaster city inspection. Apparently the latches on our fence gates were a few inches too low, and our driveway is fenced in with an automatic driveway gate that did not automatically close as the local code requires. Those were fixed, and we passed the re-inspection. We are scheduled for plaster on Monday, and acid washing on Tuesday. We have also been working with a landscaping company and have finalized those plans, so that will likely be done the following week. Choosing the plants and layout was much harder than we anticipated! Finally nearing the end, and we are really excited to see our vision realized!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.