New build - Plano Texas

Man that is one neat looking pool. Is it as round as it looks in the pic?

Okay so you are at THAT time..........time to bond with your pool aka water it AND to start learning how to care for it in the future! I have some links to give you.

This one you need to share with the PB as they hold the warranty card:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Note the 30 not swimming depends on the start up used by the PB. Ask them about it.

Here are some links to help you learn how to care for your pool:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Test kit-do you know which one the PB is giving you? If so let us know so we can fill in any holes it might have.

Kim:kim:

Man that is one neat looking pool. Is it as round as it looks in the pic?

Okay so you are at THAT time..........time to bond with your pool aka water it AND to start learning how to care for it in the future! I have some links to give you.

This one you need to share with the PB as they hold the warranty card:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Note the 30 not swimming depends on the start up used by the PB. Ask them about it.

Here are some links to help you learn how to care for your pool:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Test kit-do you know which one the PB is giving you? If so let us know so we can fill in any holes it might have.

Thank you Kim, we are really happy with the shape! It is more or less a figure 8 shape (if you ignore the spa and sunshelf) but it has pretty soft sweeping curves. Kind of like an oval that just got pinched a little in the middle if that makes sense. There are some pictures on the previous page that are pretty accurate. We made a few changes after them to the spa and sunshelf, but none that changed the shape or size around the perimeter.

Thanks for all the links and advice! I have been lurking on this site for a couple years, so I have read much of this, but definitely need a refresher as the time is now approaching. My PB strongly suggests we allow them to care for the chemistry for the first 3 months. There is a cost of course, but it is not too much so we were planning on doing that. What do you think?

As for a test kit, I don't know exactly what they will provide, but I have already gotten a TF-100. All the bottles and vials seem a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure it won't be too hard to figure it all out. The biggest thing I worry about is the fact that the colors for the PH and chlorine tests all pretty much look the same to me and my wife. Not sure if we are color blind or if everyone has that issue.

PH test-I have a plastic, white plate I hold up behind the tube. I hold both of them at about shoulder height with arms mostly extended. I pull the plate back and forth until I get a good color match.

Your PB can do more harm than good doing 3 months of chemistry if they do it to the industry "standards" which is coming once a week, testing quickly, throwing enough chlorine in to shoot the FC sky high in hopes it will last until the next visit. With new plaster your PH is going to bounce around quite a bit as the plaster cures. If is VERY important you watch and keep it balanced which will include daily testing. This will help your plaster last longer than most due to proper care. SO you can see that allowing them to do weekly service for 3 months is a waste of money for you.

I WOULD allow them to balance it as soon as it fills with water. They will need to add in CYA and get the PH in line. After that.............all you!

I also suggest you get a small notebook to keep a log of your test results. After a while you will start to see a pattern and pool care will be even easier! I even note big weather to see how it affects things. Shhhhhhhhh but I only test about every three days or so unless there has been a weather even that I know will change things. That comes from knowing my pool and what it does day to day.

Thanks for the advice Kim. I'll find out more about what method the PB does as far as plaster start up and when they hand it off to me. They did tell me that the extended service during startup is not just the typical once a week service and that they would be there every day or two "until it had stabilized". They couldn't give me all the specifics on the spot though and gave me a contact to reach out to. I'll find out more.

Does the white plate trick you mentioned help with the chlorine test as well, or just the ph test ? I believe that is the one with all the shades of yellow, right? I know all those shades of yellow are supposed to be different, but they truly all look the same to me. I might be able to tell a slight difference between the lowest and highest reading, but cannot differentiate the gradual differences in between.

Plumbing and equipment today. They said they would connect the Stenner pump for me, but I see it is still not connected. They also installed a puck chlorinator, which I do not need. I guess it is fine, I just won't use it.

Attachments

• IMG_6541.jpg
    IMG_6541.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_6525.jpg
    IMG_6525.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 320
Agree with Kim. I've done the yellow FC test maybe once myself. I'm much more about how much than yes or no.

Soooo, it has been forever since I posted anything. Our project, which had been going extremely well, suddenly went off the deep end during the tile and stone phase. I haven't been posting updates because I was pretty disgusted with everything and really didn't want to be reminded of it. I think we are finally getting back on track though and I have my sanity back, so I'll catch up. It's a bit of a long story but here goes:

Tile and stone work started out seemingly OK. The guys did all the waterline tile, and it was mostly OK. There were a few spots around the skimmers and overflow drain that weren't great, so I asked to have those fixed. The coping, which is Lueders Limestone, wasn't really shaped well to match the curves of my freeform pool. These were large slabs that they cut curved pieces out of with circular saws, and they said they come back later to perfect the shape with grinders after all the pieces are set, so I still wasn't worried. My spillway and marker tiles weren't done (it was supposed to be the same glass tile) so I asked the tile guys about it. They apparently hadn't read the plan and didn't know those were supposed to be glass tile, and they did not have enough tile left to do it. I don't know how, but apparently my PB had not ordered enough. This is where the big problems started.

PB ordered two more boxes of tile and says they should have it in 2 weeks. In the mean time, the decking crew comes and finishes our travertine pavers. They turned out great and we are very happy with them. After two weeks though, the tile is still not in. PB calls the company and finds out they have been bought out. Says that has delayed things, but we should be getting tile soon. After three more weeks with no tile, PB finds out that the new ownership will no longer be producing that tile. Fortunately though, they found just enough in their warehouse for our job and we get it. That was a 5 week delay, but we were at peace with it, thinking the tile guys would jump on it and get us done. For two weeks though we keep hearing that they'll be coming "tomorrow or the next day", but it was one no-show after another. Now I'm getting mad, but they finally show up. My wife and I were gone at work most of the day, so we were really excited to see it when we got home.

We were utterly shocked at the ridiculously poor job they did. It literally looked like a child did it, and I am not exaggerating. The spillway tiles weren't even close to lining up with the waterline tile. Some were nearly a whole inch off. None of the tiles were straight, so some grout lines were very thick while others were non-existent. Tiles were not flat and smooth, there were many divots, bumps, and ripples. The tiles on the flat top of the spillway were overhanging the vertical surfaces by an eighth to a quarter inch. The marker tiles on the steps and benches were not straight and some tiles actually overlapped others so they were sticking up at odd angles. It was infuriatingly bad.

I talk to our PB project manager and he comes out and is disgusted, and says this tile company usually does a great job, and he'll get them out to make it right. Another week goes by, and finally they come to "fix" it. When my wife and I get home, we are again utterly disappointed in the workmanship. It is better than the first time, but still nowhere near what you would call good. All the same issues as before, just to a lesser degree. We were livid and PB was too and schedules a meeting at my house with the owner of the tile and stone company to discuss.

He was very apologetic, and sincerely seemed embarrassed by his guys' work (I'm told both of them have been fired). He assured us that he will personally redo our tile and make it beautiful. Because his guys messed the job up so bad, they will have to remove all the tile and start over from the beginning. And because our tile is no longer manufactured, we had to select a new tile (at their expense, not ours). After digesting this news, my wife and I were OK with it and were actually relieved that it will be started over and hopefully done right from the start. We have selected NPT's Arctic Lagoon, which several builds here at TFP have used, and hopefully we'll be pleased with the results. The old tile was ripped out today, and they are supposed to install the new tile later this week.

That was a long post! That's what I get for taking months off. I'll post some pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OH ADULT WORD NO!!! That is the "fixed" tile???????? nope, nope, nope..........can you see me shaking my head over here??

So did they fix the coping?

That decking DOES look great! I am guessing it was a different crew that did that.

I LOVE the new glass tile! I can't wait to see it on your pool! I am glad the owner is stepping up but so sad it came to that. What happened to taking pride in your work???

:hug:

OH ADULT WORD NO!!! That is the "fixed" tile???????? nope, nope, nope..........can you see me shaking my head over here??

So did they fix the coping?

That decking DOES look great! I am guessing it was a different crew that did that.

I LOVE the new glass tile! I can't wait to see it on your pool! I am glad the owner is stepping up but so sad it came to that. What happened to taking pride in your work???

:hug:

Yes, and as bad as that is, it was WAY better than their first attempt. It really did look like abstract art gone wrong the first time. Many adult words were said among my wife and I, but we managed to keep our cool with our PB and the owner of the tile company. We figured it wouldn't do us any good to be ugly with them, and it helped that they both seemed truly ashamed and disgusted. I was surprised when the tile company owner said they really needed to start all over with new tile because I'm betting he is now losing money on our job. I appreciate that he is putting good workmanship above profit. When I got home from work this evening all the old tile was gone. Kind of sad because I really liked it, but so glad they are starting fresh. I'm sure the new tile will be beautiful too. They did work on the coping today as well. They didn't finish yet, but its much better. There is one piece though that it looks like they tried to fix that I think will need to be replaced. Going to talk to them about it tomorrow. We are hoping all that is finished this week and potentially we can plaster next week. And yes, decking was a different crew and they were awesome! Super friendly, professional, and efficient. All the crews (aside from tile of course) have been great, as has our PB project manager.
Thanks for checking in on me Kim! I was afraid I might lose my couple of followers after my long hiatus. I just was too aggravated to post during all the shenanigans of the past couple months!

I bet there were LOTS of adult words said between the two of you! "Look at this one!" as you tried to one up one another for finding the worst place.

I am proud of you for holding it together for the meeting...........I think all you really had to "say" was point at the tile with a sad look on your face and let the tile speak for you :(

I bet the tile guy IS losing money and now HE has to get sweating and dirty doing work he hired out. I hope his skills are still sharp.

:hug: I understand not wanting to post while it was going on.

What does everyone think about grout? The first tile job was done with "bone" which they said would be a beige close to our coping and travertine. It was not though, it was almost white. This time we either want beige to match the coping or a blue to match more closely with our plaster and the tile. The plaster is the PBs own line but is really close to pebbletec blue surf AKA blue smurf. We've seen pictures with the Arctic Lagoon installed with beige, white, and a greyish blue. They all look great, so we are having a hard time deciding. I want to get it right because I know the grout will have a big impact on the overall look of the tile.

I don't think I'd be a big fan of a blue grout given the tile choice. I feel that part of the allure of having smaller smaller tile is to have the grout accent the shape of the smaller tiles. Wouldn't having blue grout make it seem more homogeneous? Also, the waterline tile is often used to contrast with /complement the plaster versus blending in with it. I'd go with grout you feel would match the travertine well (which is beautiful by the way - I like the smaller than normal but thick pieces). I do understand wanting to stay away from white grout. Though again that would provide a real pop for that beautiful tile. It's such a personal decision. Good luck! I am a big fan however of Blue Smurf (or anything that can stand in for it!)

Thanks for your thoughts bmoreswim. I agree that with a darker grout like a blue or gray it makes it look almost like solid glass rather than noticing each individual tile. There is still a mosaic effect because the tiles reflect light differently and show in different shades, but it is less pronounced. I actually really like that look.

But on the other hand, with darker grout there is nothing to tie it in with my coping and deck. I think it would look nice and cohesive if the tile tied in with the coping, and a beige grout would do that. I hope the tile will compliment the plaster nicely either way.

So I guess it boils down to the fact that I love the way the tile itself looks with a darker and similarly colored grout, but I like the cohesiveness of grout that matches the coping.

That sounds like two votes for off white/light gray! I think I may be starting to lean that way too. That is basically the color of the coping and the lighter pieces of travertine in the deck. Thank you both, it sure does help to have outside opinions and ideas!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.