Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pump vs existing plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

new pump vs existing plumbing

I got the Hayward variable speed and on the box it states 2" plumbing required 2.5" recommended. I have 2" suction side and 1.5" return side. Since it's variable it will be dialed down as far as it can go, prime will run at 65% for 6 minutes, new pump hp says 2.0 frhp (2.7 thp). No solar, no spa, no water feature, should I be concerned about my 1.5" return? edit filter will also be upgraded to hayward de 48 sqft.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pump vs existing plumbing

The pipe size shouldn't be a problem. You should run 2" pipe out of the pump for as far as you can easily manage, hopefully all the way to the filter, and then downsize after that. You are going to be pushing the filter pretty hard during priming. I don't think that will be a problem but it will be right near the limit for that filter so there might be issues.

The Hayward variable speed pumps are very new. We would love to hear more about your experiences.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: new pump vs existing plumbing

as always, thanks! Yes 2" inch to the filter and swg and all the way until I hit the 1.5. I hope the filter doesnt become a problem, the pad will already be tight with the 48. I do plan to report back, trying to get it installed before the 4th of July but my spare time is limited.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek