SURVEY - Liquid FC Dosing

Thanks so much for 39 responses :) Here's a report in the next two posts.

Category 1. Peristaltic Pumps (28 Stenner, 2 custom)
All use drop-based testing with pump timing dialed in to meet FC need
Three members have tried FC/CYA below 7.5%; 27 stay above 7.5%
One member stays in bottom 1/3 of FC range; most of those who mentioned FC and CYA ppm use 10% as their target

Pump
run time
(hrs/day)
Doser
run time
(mins/day)
Dosing approachDay or nightRemarks
248414 dosesdaypump on low speed
7753 dosesday40 GPM pool pump flow
6same as pumpas pump runsday
8same as pumpall at oncedaystay closer to 10%; 3rd year with Stenner; only maint. is annual tube replacement
5222 dosesdaytarget 5 FC for 40 CYA
12333 dosesday1100 RPM then 2600 for solar; 5-6 FC
6302 dosesbothone dose day, one dose night; stays at target
838spread outdayonly one month running so far
490spread outbothuses target FC
5.550spread outboth
11same as pumpspread outday7 FC @ 60 CYA; working CYA down over time
121072 dosesday7 FC @ 70 CYA
5602 dosesboth3 pump cycles; 5 FC @ 50 CYA; ~60 oz. per day
750spread outday
241503 cycles of 50 minday4 FC @ 50 CYA
6.5362 dosesboth75% at 9pm; the rest at 11am adjusted per need; stays in bottom 1/3 of range; 6 hrs 1200 RPM; 30 mins 2000 RPM
417all at oncenight40 GPD pump
470all at oncedayuses less than 7.5% FC/CYA which occurs at end of cycle before dose; 45MPHP10; experimenting with temp and solar radiation as inputs to determine run time
6every 15 minutes24 dosesday4 FC @ 40 CYA
8752 dosesboth4 x 2hr pump cycles; Stenner pump time adjusted on second dose per testing; 7-10 FC; only algae was when tank ran out and if it's rainy and windy while away for more than a week
823 to 46bothnight23 mins (one dose) weekdays, 46 mins (two doses) weekends
10120all at onceevening3 gal Stenner, 100 PSI; 32 oz of 10% reduced as weather cools off; aims for 1 ppm FC above target
5672 dosesbothuse water temp to set dosing, checked with drop-based testing and adjusted weekly
24903 to 4 dosesbothset up so each 30 min cycle adds 1 ppm FC, 3-4 cycles per day; 32 ounces per cycle; tried running it lower than 7.5% but experienced some algae, so now staying at target
24270all at oncenight3 GPD pump with 55 gal in-ground cistern for chlorinating liquid; circulation at 30 GPM; Stenner runs 8pm to 12:30am; drops to 5 FC at 65 CYA just before dosing
67.52 doses 10 mins apartnightBeta DR2000 peristaltic pump; uses less than 7.5% with no algae issues
2.523all at oncenightthese are winter numbers; summer is 82 minutes; keeps FC a bit above minimum
6same as pumpspread outbothStenner 85MHP5; keeps FC at target (5 ppm for 40 ppm CYA)
460spread outdaykeeps FC >7.5% of CYA; sets to 10 (full) to stop clicking, click happens when it stops
1515 to 30all at onceeveningStenner 10 gpd single speed on timer; 15 gal tank; 2-speed pump on low; keeps FC at >7.5%

Category 2: Liquidators
All use drop-based testing and adjust Liquidator to meet FC need
By nature, the Liquidator doses throughout the pump cycle
Two members allow FC to go below 7.5% of CYA and have not had algae outbreaks

Pump run time (hrs/day)Day or nightRemarks
9bothno algae ever
7day5 FC @ 50 CYA
7bothno algae outbreaks
8day4 FC; no algae outbreaks but does get spots
10daydialed in with pinch valve; feels that constant dosing is the way to go; stays near target FC; has seen 0 FC after vacation, brought it up and no algae issues
10dayrun time needed for solar heating; stays at target FC level; no algae except opening and if Liquidator runs out
10both3 FC @ 40-50 CYA; no algae problems

Category 3: Sensor based dosing
The members use controllers that inject chlorine based on sensor input to meet FC need

Pump run time (hrs/day)ControllerDosing pumpDay or nightRemarks
7IntellichemPentair chlorine pumpdaydoses are spread out 20 mins apart; 5-6 FC @ 50 CYA
24ChemtrolStennervariablesensor (ppm and ORP); CYA tends to drop during the season

I should have mentioned at the beginning that no one reported any significant algae issues.

1. Stenner 10 GPD
2. drop-based
3. 8 Hours for filter pump 4 x 2 hr
4. usually about an 1 and 15 per day changed based on drop test
5. doses twice a day and one is adjusted to changed the dosing
6. morning and evening
7. I tweak it to try and maintain a level between 7 and 10
8. only if i run out of chlorine or if it is rainy and windy while away for more than a week.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner w/15 gal tank)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (Dial it in)
3. What is your current pump run time? (8 hrs @ 2000 RPM)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (23 minutes per day M-F, 46 min per day Sat-Sun)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (All at once M-F, spread out into 2 doses on Sat-Sun)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (night)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? (for example 3 ppm FC minimum at 40 ppm CYA) (No)
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? (N/A)

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Stenner 3 gal 100psi fixed rate
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? drop based dial it in
3. What is your current pump run time? 10 hrs per day
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? 2 hrs per day (32oz of 10%) cut back after cooler weather set in
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? All at once
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? Evening
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? No, I aim for 1 ppm above target
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum?

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) Stenner with 15 gallon tank.
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) I use water temp to set dosing, verify with drop testing, adjust once a week if required.
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) 5
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 67
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) split in two sessions
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) both
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) no
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum?

I am reading through this because I am trying to put together a Stenner based system. Would the consensus be that other than an SWG this is the way to go? It doesn't seem that any person who participated had anything bad to say. I am getting tired of going to the store so often and then pouring in bleach by hand. It would be nice to be somewhat automated.
Would it be too much to ask for a section on the survey for anyone to post the approximate cost of their system. Or is that taboo? Obviously they would have the option to leave that question unanswered. :)

Sure, that could have been asked and would have been helpful alright. You can try the search function (upper right) and review some of the Stenner builds. Try "stenner cost" or "stenner build" which will bring up a few threads. From what I've seen the range is approx. $250 to $400.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm getting the same information. I have searched for sure and read a lot of good threads. No matter what site I go to I'm finding pumps between 240 and 280. Containers are all over the place.
Thanks for the info.
I got mine from Locke Well and Pump plus a rain hood for $236 shipped. I am using a cheap 5 gallon HDPE bucket from Lowes for storage, and the Wion woods timer. Total cost was less than $275, and I am quite pleased.

I am reading through this because I am trying to put together a Stenner based system. Would the consensus be that other than an SWG this is the way to go? I
I use a Liquidator and am very happy with it' so from my view point no. Cost is under $200

I know everyone’s situation is different, but if you’re willing, please tell us how you use your liquid chlorine dosing system.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) Stenner
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) Dial in. My pool typically uses 3-4 PPM which equates to 90-120 oz of 8.25%. A 30 minute run on cheap timer yields 32 oz of chlorine. each 30 minute run is 1PPM so its real easy to dial in.
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) Pump always on
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 30 min per 1PPM so depends typically 1.5 hours
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) spread out
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) Both
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) I was running it lower I just switch to keeping it at max all the time not letting it go down at all using injection during the day.
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? Yes

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?) Stenner 3 GPD with 55 gal in ground cistern.
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.) Drop-based testing of FC in the evening and adjust run time accordingly.
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) Pump always on at 30 GPM flow rate
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 72 oz/day of LC needed so, 270 min per day (pump starts at 8 pm; shut off at 12:30 am) 4.5 hours
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) all at once
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) Night
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) Yes, I have been maintaining a day-end reading of 5 ppm FC with a CYA of 65. So, yes pretty close to 7.5% CYA
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? No blooms. So far so good.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Liquidator
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? Drop-based
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) 10 hours
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 10 hours
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) Spread out
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) Both
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) Yes (3 PPM/40-50 ppm)
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? No

I know everyone’s situation is different, but if you’re willing, please tell us how you use your liquid chlorine dosing system.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? (Stenner, other dosing pump, or Liquidator, etc.?)
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? (drop-based, sensor, sensor and dial it in, etc.)
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day)
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both)
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome)

Just copy and paste to answer (example below) and thank you for helping out if you can :)

I wanted to say that needsajet has performed a very useful service here. Great poll. It would be very interesting to see a similar survey for SWG owners that addresses issue such as brands, sizing, FC/CYA ratios, run time, muriatic acid use, technical problems, cell life span, algae blooms, etc.

1. Which liquid chlorine dosing system do you use? Beta DR-2000 Peristaltic pump
2. Does your system respond to a sensor, or do you dial it in based on your drop-based testing? Drop-based
3. What is your current pump run time? (hours per day) 6 hours
4. What is the run time of your liquid chlorine doser? (minutes or hours per day) 7.5 minutes (approx. 8 oz/minute feed rate)
5. Is the run time for your chlorine doser spread out through the pump cycle, or is the full daily amount injected all at once? (spread out, or all at once) Essentially all at once (two doses, about 10 minutes apart.)
6. Do you inject chlorine during the day, at night or both? (day, night, both) Night
7. Do you use a bare minimum FC level of less than 7.5% of your CYA level? e.g. 3 ppm FC min at 40 ppm CYA. (Yes or No, comments also welcome) Yes
8. If yes, have you experienced any algae outbreaks while using the lower minimum? No

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.