LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Flex PVC broke loose somehow and it seems the pump ran dry for a few. Now if I flip the power it sounds like it wants to cycle then trips the GFCI. The shaft I am able to spin. It wants to start, the shaft spins a few times and I see waterflow in the basket then the GFCI goes out. It did get soaked, I wonder if something is 'wet', even thought it is outside.

The pump is 1.5 hp Power-Flo LX rated at 70 GPM

The filter (it was a combo) is a Hayward Dream Line s190TSCP that has a filter rate of 25 GPM and design flow rate of 45 GPM

so my questions are, does it sound like the pump went? I plugged a hair straightener into the GFCI to see if it was tripping with a load on it and all is good.

The pool store has Power-Flo LX and Hayward Matrix pumps for around the same price. They have both 1.0 and 1.5 hp.

They are saying I probably should have a 1.0 hp since I am 15x30 above ground. I do know I do push a lot of pressure.

I also wonder if the matrix is a better option?

Here is my concern, I am hard piped except for the flex PVC, I want to minimize any repiping as I don't have time to repipe this week, if the matrix is an option any idea if the dimensions from the input/outputs are the same as the LX where it mounts?

Also, is 1.0 a better option? I got the package from a reputable pool store installer maybe 6 years back.

Could the GFCI be bad? I am thinking it is not. Since it can run a heating element.

Depending on how long the pump ran dry, it may have heated-up enough to warp the seal which is allowing water to seep into the motor assembly when trying to prime which would explain the GFCI tripping. You might consider separating the wet/dry sections to inspect the seal and replace as necessary. That would certainly save you from having to re-plumb. Perhaps others will reply with a thought or two as well, to include your option to replace with Matrix model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.