AutoPilot Digital and a 2-Speed Pump Motor

Mar 12, 2013
Hi,

The motor on my pool pump went out. It was a single speed 2-hp motor. I have no water features, so I decided to buy a 2 speed motor to replace the old one. I decided against a variable speed pump thinking I would not need the features of variable speed given the purchase cost difference. My plan was to run the pump in low speed 99% of the time and only use high speed when necessary (vacuum/backwash). It is a saltwater pool using a pool pilot digital as the chlorine generation system. I typically ran the old single speed pump 8 hrs a day on 40% chlorine production which provided adequate turn-over/chlorine levels. Apparently (confirmed by pool pilot manufacturer), the tri-sensor in the pool pilot digital system will not sense flow when the pump is running on low speed, therefore it will not generate chlorine. The new pump works fine on high speed and produces chlorine.

I would really like to take advantage of the energy savings (the reason I paid extra for 2-speed) of running the pump in low speed.

My question: Is there a way to work around this issue or run some sort of blended pump speed times? Would I actually see the energy savings if I ran the pump on say high for 5 hrs. at 80% chlorine production, then went low speed (no chlorine) for 10 hrs to get the water turnover?

The pump draws 10 amps at High Speed, and 3.5 amps at Low Speed.

Or should I just learn from my mistake and run this pump at high speed like old times?

Thanks in advance,
Carey

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, turnovers are meaningless, so forget about those. Likely you need much less run time than you think. See: Determine Pump Run Time

If you run on high for 4 hours with the SWG output at 80%, you would be adding the same amount of FC as you are now.
To save the most money, that is likely all you need to run. Running on low may not add any needed extra cleaning and while it is cheap to run, it is still more $ than not running ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.